Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive stand with SBB  (Read 4871 times)

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
Hive stand with SBB
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:01 am »
My hive stand & screen bottom board all in one made from scrap 2x4's ..

I made this from my scrap bin (apart from the mesh)..  The entrance is smaller in width than normal, but I plan to have a top entrance too.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Hive stand with SBB
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:04:53 am »
I'm so impressed - I constantly wish I had taken shop in high school - this is really a good looking stand!

Linda T

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:18 am »
Looks good to me. Just a suggestion you may want to do something to protect the exposed wood to prevent rot.

Nice Job!

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 05:26:42 am »
Nice stand.  Do you have a bottom under the screen or is it completely open?

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:20:57 pm »
I still have to finish painting it otherwise it won't last long.  For most of the year the bottom is going to be open and I will just slide in a piece of plywood under the screen for a few weeks in August to check for mites.

On top of the stand will sit a slatted rack from betterbee. That will give me the height between the bottom and the 1st broad box. I decided to try building something after spending nearly 40 bucks on a hive stand and a SBB (+ shipping).

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:32:40 pm »
That is an excellent stand . Mine are similar except I do not permantly attached the bottom board to the stand.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:16:56 am »
Allan, you really did a great job, and to think that it came from scraps.  Now that is innovation.  Good for you.

In our course one of the other students was telling us (he runs commercial apiaries) that in all of his apiaries he keeps one or two "superhorses".  Basically similar to a sawhorse, but the top is rectangular to hold supers when you are lifting them off the colonies.  I have had the idea explained indepth to me, and I am going to ask my husband to construct one for me.  When he does, I will post a picture. 

This superhorse seemed like an excellent idea for ease of lifting supers and needing a place to set them.  And it can be made to fit specific heights.  I am challenged in the vertical sense and I need things tailored to my 5 foot 2 inch body.   I usually set mine on the ground angled across the lid, but it is hard on the back to lift them up and down, so superhorse innovation here I come.  Have the best of the best day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
Hope your tall to get those supers off!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »
Hope your tall to get those supers off!

It's only 16" off the ground.  I figure that even if I lowered it a little, I am still going to need a brick to stand on if I get above 3 medium supers.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:07:51 am »
>It's only 16" off the ground.

My stands are all only 3 1/2" off the ground.  I'd put them lower if I could protect the wood.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin