Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Fortress  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Bee Fortress
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:45 pm »
A new indegogo campaign for a beehive that allows you to control the conditions in the hive. I don't really have a opinion on it yet I'll have to find out more about it.
https://www.prweb.com/releases/bee_fortress_usa_launches_indiegogo_campaign_with_mission_of_saving_honey_bee_colonies_around_the_world/prweb16753859.htm
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bee Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:30:45 am »
I can think of cheaper ways to make more ventilation, but then I'm not sure MORE ventilation is a good thing.  Bees need a certain level of raised CO2 to be in the right dormant state in winter.  Condensation is only an issue if you don't let the moist air out the top.  Bees have been managing their own ventilation for millions of years before humans existed...  or at least a few days :)  depending on your world view.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
I agree with Michael Bush.  Seems like a great deal for snowflake bees.  But I've never known any snowflake bees.

An insulated hive makes sense to me, though.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 06:51:11 pm »

Looks like a solar panel, ant trap stand, 4 entrance? One exhaust?  Just posting the pic, I have no idea the components.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:54 pm »
Bush makes a good point about internal hive conditions.  In short, the bees know best.  How would one determine optimal: gas levels, humidity, temp, space, diet etc in a hive?  Like guessing at climate change, to many variables. I know we could ask Greta!  Lol

Interesting observation this day, Tuesday 55F, I have one styrofoam hive that I wanted to try, just for the enjoyment of my hobby.  The styrofoam hive was the most active hive in my apiary with bees just a buzzin on the entrance.  Like it was spring or something.  Lots of activity on the styrofoam entrance, more than the other 15 or so hives.

Now will this cause the bees to consume more stores, or less????  I?ll tell ya next Spring.  However one hive will not will not tell us any significant value.  But it is fun to try different stuff.

I purchased two, styrofoam, 6 frame nucs which I plan to use this Spring.  Again, just for the enjoyment of trying something new, something different.  Honeybees are so adaptive, they fascinate me and provide me with so much enjoyment.  And don?t forget the challenge of raising bees!  Always learning, I am.

Best to your Bees.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:32 pm »
An insulated hive makes more sense than so much ventilation.

Bees in the wild have much to teach us, I think.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:59:17 pm »
Agreed Father Michael.  Bees are hatched with detailed knowledge:  born understanding waggle dance, understanding their location device[magnetic?] more accurate that our GPS, knowledge of nursing duties, rather all hive duties, math relative to the Sun position at a given time of day, geometry of comb, obtaining nectar and pollen, making honey, communication, reaction to pheromones,  humidity level, temp, etc.  all this with a brain the size of this letter o.  DNA is transferable knowledge but we have yet to understand how this is possible.

As humans we are born with zero knowledge.  Go figure.
Blessings

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 09:23:33 am »
Van. That hive picture looks like it might to be a podium used for beekeeping lectures. I encourage Michael Bush to buy one. His lecture videos are excellent. Even more so if he spoke behind one of those.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 11:26:43 am »
Alright after hearing all of your explanations I now think that this may not be the best thing. I agree that the bees know best. One of the lessons I learned this year.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn