Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic acid approved  (Read 5411 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Oxalic acid approved
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »
Even though it is approved by the Feds, I do not think we can use it until it is approved by our own state.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:18:09 am »
I got a call from the state Apiary Board here in Arkansas today about the Oxalic Acid.
I was told that even though it is approved by the feds it has to be sent to each state.
The state will then see what chemical is to be used whether liquid, granule or powder.
The state will decide which chemical to use and how to administer it.
The Oxalic Acid has to have on the container that it is approved for use of honey bees.
In other words you can't go to the hardware store and buy it.
The chemical company has to register their product in the state and label it approved for treatment of honeybees.
Until then it is illegal to use it here in Arkansas.
They are going to put a label with wording for use with honeybee treatment and jack the price up.
That is what was told to me today from the Arkansas State Apiary Board.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:26 pm »
From The Brushy mountain web site:

We have mentioned that Oxalic Acid has been approved by the EPA; however for it to be used legally it must be registered in the individual states and have the appropriate label. It has been a process but we are working to have all states approved.

Currently North Caroloina and Pennsylvania are registered and it is available at both location. We are continuing to work with other states and expect several to be approved in the coming weeks. Later than we wanted. We will keep the information updated on our website to know where it can be sold.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »
sooo.. every beekeeper buys a bottle with a label and then refills it with the stuff he ordered from Amazon?
   The way I see it, if they can write "Approved for Varroa control on Honey bees" on a label and stick it on a bottle so can I.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:20:22 am »
I only hope you guys are feeding sugar/ fondant/ patties which have been 'approved for feeding to honey bees' ...

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:00:43 pm »
I have also heard they will pre-dilute and sell at 2-3% solution, rather than the 95-99% you would get elsewhere.  I have found nothing in writing to confirm this however.  Knowing how marketing works, I expect they'll overcharge for a bottle of 2% solution.  I also heard Brushy Mountain is the only company allowed currently to label it's use for honeybees, meaning you will be held to their price, as there won't be competition on the market for this product.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
What would you dilute a powder with, that will evaporate when heated and not cause harm to bees?
   it is too easy to get 99.6% pure OA, label or no label.. I have been using it as the best alternative for years without approval. I will continue to use it label or no label, so what would they gain by trying to rip me off? I will comply, and buy the approved OA from Brushy Mountain, so long as they are not silly with the price.   
   AFAIK at a 2% concentration there would not be enough crystals in the hive to make a difference. There is a set amount to use for a specific size hive or amount of bees. Diluting it would mean using as much more to return to the correct concentration.
   Brushy Mountain will be honest. They will make their profit, as is their due, but they are not out to "burn" the beekeepers.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »
They will definitely try. Look how much one treatment of apiguard cost. Someone with 20 hives at 3 treatments, what's that, 180.00 compared to 30 teaspoons of acid, 2.00. You know they won't like that difference. If they want to play games, well just keep bleaching our frames. They can keep there label.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:25 am »
I doubt Brushy Mountain makes Apiguard..   they Buy it, and re sell it. They make a specific amount on resale products. It is the base price that determines the over all cost..  The mark up is usually 40 to 60% depending on the company.. if a product costs them 20 dollars to buy they charge an extra 8 to 12 dollars to sell it. They will likely do the same with OA..  the cost may vary if they are the ones repackaging and labeling.....   But....   WHO can legally repackage OA and label it?   Why would it be illegal for me to buy it from the same place, print my label and stick it on the bottle?

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 03:51:19 am »
I understand markup, what's half of 180, compared to 2 dollars.

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 11:34:51 am »
I doubt Brushy Mountain makes Apiguard..   they Buy it, and re sell it. They make a specific amount on resale products. It is the base price that determines the over all cost..  The mark up is usually 40 to 60% depending on the company.. if a product costs them 20 dollars to buy they charge an extra 8 to 12 dollars to sell it. They will likely do the same with OA..  the cost may vary if they are the ones repackaging and labeling.....   But....   WHO can legally repackage OA and label it?   Why would it be illegal for me to buy it from the same place, print my label and stick it on the bottle?

I need to find the reference again, but from my understanding, part of the OA approval given cited that Brushy would be the ONLY source in the US approved to label the product for use with honeybees...  meaning it would be unlawful for you to do the same.  As for the pre-dilution, that would likely be done for dribble application, not OAV.  I heard about a place in Europe that forms the OA into tablets of 1g each.  You use one tablet per hive body (deep).  This sounds like a great way to mark up the product, easier to sell 'per dose'.  Ican see it now...  a very handy packet containing 5-10 tablets, similar to cold meds...  and likely $5-$10 for it.  Not unreasonable in general....  unless you know the value of the OA in its current form.  :)
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 02:04:30 am »
 part of the OA approval given cited that Brushy would be the ONLY source in the US approved to label the product for use with honeybees...

And who exactly could possibly tell anyone else they cant have OA tested for approval and re labeling?     If they do that they will immediately be facing suits from Mann Lake and every other bee supply. Probably a few beekeepers as well.   
  Next they will tell me I cant grow Rhubarb near my hives because it has OA in it....