Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of wasps do I need to protect my honey bee hives from?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline jennyjane

• Brood
Do paper wasps attack and kill bees in the hive like yellow jackets do? What kind of wasps do I need to be wary of and control in my bee hive area (hornets, yellowjackets, paper wasps)?

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: What kind of wasps do I need to protect my honey bee hives from?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 05:25:45 am »
I say all of the above depending on what is the most active in your local bee environment in
certain time of the season.   The local Russian beekeeper always have his wasp trap around 365 days of
the year.  We're in a warm winter environment.    So what do you see during the early Spring and late Autumn time?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 08:06:56 am »
Hopefully Kathyp will chime in on this thread. She is the expert for your area.
I only see Yellow Jackets bothering my hives but then again, I have never seen a full blown attack from them. I have never seen a wasp pay any attention to my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:18:03 am »
Black faced hornets can wipe out a weak honey bee hive but it is like any other predator.  It is natures way of eliminating the weak.  Practically everything preys on rabbits but there is still a lot of rabbits.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:27:17 am »
In 40 plus years of beekeeping, I have never heard of wasps taking enough bees to be considered a problem. Maybe a sick or old bee now and then, but no noticeable damage done.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
We have European hornets in N Arkansas and southern states.  These hornets are huge, imported, and the wasp prey on my apiary.  No major damage though, but irritating as each hornet will take one honey bee each morning and afternoon.  My honey bees are helpless against such a predator.  I attack the hornets with a fly swatter the only non invasive means I am aware of.

Hopefully you do not have such a creature in your area.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:58:05 pm »
I have been somewhat successful with a two liter "coke" bottle repurposed into a wasp trap.  I use a drop or two honey some old lunch meat or any kind of decaying meat.  The longer it works the better it works.

anything