Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does my roof get too hot for my TBH?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Alison

• New Bee
Does my roof get too hot for my TBH?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
I have my TBH on my roof, sitting about 10" high off the roof, in full sun. My first captured swarm absconded after 4 days, but I have had a second swarm in the hive since March 12th. I was advised by some members to put the solid bottom board in and add lemongrass oil. These seemed to work as my second swarm is doing well. They are building perfect comb about an inch from all sides with no attachments. I live in Southern California, walking distance to the beach, so with the marine layer, it rarely gets past the high eighties on the hottest day of the year. I still have a solid bottom board on the hive, it is flimsy Masonite that lets some air in. I didn't want to remove it as the heat from the roof reflects up towards the hive. Should I be concerned that the hive will get too hot? I was thinking of putting some reflective material where the bottom board is, facing downward, to send the heat away from the hive. I didn't think I should remove the solid bottom board as it doesn't seem like the bees would be able to control the temperature as well with just the screened bottom board in place. Also, I have 3 entrance holes at one end of the hive, but no other ventilation. There is a heavy roof that fits over the hive which does not have ventilation holes either. Thanks for any advice!
Alison

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Does my roof get too hot for my TBH?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:11 pm »
I put a curvy plastic roof on my top bar to begin with (as per some plans I found on the Internet) and I am quite sure it was too hot here in Atlanta.  I changed to a solid board with aluminum flashing on top of it and the hive has done much better this year.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Alison

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:05 am »
Hi Linda,
Thanks for your input. I have a nice light colored roof over the hive. My concern is that heat is reflecting up from the roof of my home into the bottom of the hive. My other thought was to put some artificial grass under the hive to reduce the amount of heat. Maybe it is fine as it is, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. I don't want the comb to collapse in the heat, but maybe I have no reason to worry.
Thanks,
Alison

Offline Bigfoot

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:15 am »
I think you might want to put something under your hive, 10" might not be far enough away to escape the heat reflected from the roof, the artificial grass seems like a good idea to me. Could you lay a thermometer under the hive to see how hot it actually gets, it sounds pretty cool though that you have a hive on your roof, hope it works out for ya!

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:49:31 pm »
Perhaps you could put something white on the roof?  I was thinking even a light colored sheet or cheap masonite. 
I am not sure about the bottom board being removed or not.  perhaps someone else could weigh in. 

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:05 pm »
Good info...thanks