Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbe needs advice on equipment  (Read 4340 times)

Offline m_swearinger

• New Bee
Newbe needs advice on equipment
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:22 pm »
Well here goes. My grandfather died and left me four beehives and some old equipment. Looking through the equipment almost everything looks usable. There are 12 one gallon glass jars, 2 mini-pry bars, galvanized extractor and smoker, an old electric uncapping knife needing a new plug, various bucket and an old beesuit. It has been 15 years since I helped my grandfather with the bees and don't remember any other equipment. Is there anything else needed? The suit doesn't fit me and it is hot as Hades in south Louisiana. Does anyone make a cotton beesuit or something that one will not melt in?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: Newbe needs advice on equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »
They only thing of concern I did not see on the list is bees.  LOL

I'm sure gramps would be very happy to know someone was going to put that stuff to good use.  Sounds like you are off to a good start. 

As far as the heat goes, when its real hot all I wear is jeans, long sleeve shirt, veil, and gloves.  I would probably dress like this all the time but a bee jacket is easier to put on than a veil.  There is a kind of vented suit I hear people talk about on here all the time.  I'm sure someone will tell you about it soon enough.  I hear it is expensive but being that you have inherited the rest of the equipment, it may be worth every penny and then some. 

Good luck.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:34:16 pm »
 I hear the one by golden bee is nice but pricey.   I just go with a veil long sleeves and jeans though, the extra heat isn't worth the extra protection in the summer here. Just my newbie opinion though.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline m_swearinger

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:21:13 am »
Gandfather left me the bees too! They don't seem as nice as they did 15 years ago. Did a search and read up on the the Goldenbee and the Ultrabreeze. Read on another forum the Ultrabreeze is on sale so I might take the plunge. $200 is a lot of money though. Do you think I can get away with a jacket for $100 and use the old suit only when I need to?

Also what is BeeQuick used for? It sure does smell good!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:16 am »
"Also what is BeeQuick used for? It sure does smell good!"

When sprayed on a fume board and placed on top of the hive, it drives the bees out of the super so you can steal the honey.

$100 is to much for a jacket if you ask me.  As far as what you can get away I cant tell you.  I have not seen the old suit and don't know how it fits you.

You should be able to get a jacket, pants, and gloves for about a hundred bucks.  Then you can buy and extra veil.  This also allows a friend to come along.  You should be able to get all for a little over $100.  If the bees are at your house and you can dress and undress in your house you are at a big advantage compared to me. 

The bees may seem a little more aggressive now because of the time of year.  They seem to get a little touchy this time of year.

I have never seen or used one of those expensive suits so I cant say if they are worth it or not.  But I have seen many forums where people break down and buy one and are happy as ever to get them.  If you buy the cheap now and go for the better one later, it will only cost you more in the long run.  It may be better to just spent the money now and get it over with. 

Again, being that you have inherited everything else, even the bees, $200-300 is cheap!!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:31 am »
I have an ultrabreeze and a golden bee, full suits, but ultra breeze came out with a mighty fine jacket/veil combo you should definitely check out. I highly recommend the ultrabreeze jacket.

With that said, this is what I mainly use: https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=723

Hard to beat for the price!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline m_swearinger

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:01 am »
HI JP,

Just got off the phone with Bill at Honeymoon Apiaries and he mentioned you by name and knows the people who make the Golden Bee suit. Apparently Bill is from Metairie and actually went to college in Hammond. Talk about a small world. In short ordered a full suit and he said I can exchange it for free if it doesn't fit right. When asked about the sale, he said the pockets are changing and wanted to get the old stock out the door. Once he sales the old stock the price will go back to normal.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:32:49 am »
Bill is a fine fellow to deal with, you will not be disappointed.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

bigbearomaha

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »
While I can get get by most times for non-invasive trips to the beeyard with denim jeans and a hat/veil  When  I go to inspect the hives in the past,  I always have a pair of carhart unlined work coveralls and a denim long sleeve shirt. again, with hat/veil (I have longer hair, bees get frustrated easily if they get caught in it)

Use a bandanna to tie bottoms of legs tight over boots and over each wrist covering gloves (if they are being used) and ends of sleeves.

I personally just can't see myself spending money on a beesuit that can still be stung through, is awkward ( for me) to work in and coveralls are more comfortable to work in.  Again, that's just me, but I'm not exactly a 'little fella' either.

I think most people would say to wear what makes you feel most comfortable and confidant around the bees.  If that's a beesuit, then you've made the right decision.

Big Bear

Offline Nate

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:43 pm »
All that fancy stuff.  Shorts, flip flops, veil, and sometimes a t-shirt... that sounds about right. :-D

anything