Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding honey to bees  (Read 16863 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: feeding honey to bees
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »
In the state of New York the only accepted treatment for AFB is burning the hive in the presence of a state inspector.  How is it enforced?  If someone turns you in.  At the present time inspections are voluntary but encouraged.

Since there is no state inspector for my area anymore,  guess I can't burn it even if I had it...... :-P

And I must say I prefer it that way.  Especially after having corrupt inspectors.  It was amazing that only those that where getting big enough to compete with the inspectors honey business would find yards completely burned "due to AFB".

Big government at it's best......
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:45 am »
>I thought if you got AFB you are forced to burn the hive.  Am I wrong?

In Nebraska if you find it you are required to treat with Terramycin or burn, your choice.  If you are not treating when the inspector finds it you can be required to burn, his choice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:30 am »
It was amazing that only those that where getting big enough to compete with the inspectors honey business would find yards completely burned "due to AFB".

If it were big government the inspector would not be allowed to own or run a business that is competing in the industry he / she is inspecting.  It is because it is small government that this happens.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

If it were big government the inspector would not be allowed to own or run a business that is competing in the industry he / she is inspecting.  It is because it is small government that this happens.

Wrong....

New York just went through that the last time around where the inspectors could not own or run a beekeeping business.  So either they couldn't find enough inspectors to cover all areas, you get inspectors that are in it for the power, or you get inspectors that have no practical experience and go by what they read in a book. We all know where that gets us.

I'm not saying there aren't any good inspectors, but there surely isn't enough of them, and a lot of them have their hands tied by the system.

It should not be my responsibility to invest my time in educating a government employee on current methods and then get their permission to do what I have been doing successfully for years.  Now they want you to "voluntarily"  register your hives, why?  Because next there will be a fee for them to collect.

It is very seldom that anything good comes out of regulation,  and it seems that they just want to keep piling on more,  which continually increase the cost.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:25:06 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
think we getting off topic.feeding corn syrup one thing I wont do.reason genome altered corn.and raising queens seems to give diarrhea to bees. honey is about best for making splits or overwintering bees.feeding watered down sugar puts too moisture in hives thus killing off bees.
Don

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
It is very seldom that anything good comes out of regulation,

You think we should buy prescription drugs on the streets or from the cartels in Mexico?

I think your ego is getting involved here.  You don't need to be a bee keeper to be an inspector.  That is your hang up.  You only need to know what your are looking for to be effective.  99% of all inspections are done by reading documentation (that the manufacturer wrote) and verifying that they actually did it, usually by other supporting documents (again, that the manufacturer wrote).  Very little actually hive inspections need to be done.  If there is a problem it shows up in the documents or the attempted cover up.  Apparently you don't know much about effective inspections.  You are just another bee keeper.

Sorry fat/beeman we did get off topic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »
You don't need to be a bee keeper to be an inspector.  That is your hang up.  You only need to know what your are looking for to be effective.  99% of all inspections are done by reading documentation (that the manufacturer wrote) and verifying that they actually did it, usually by other supporting documents (again, that the manufacturer wrote). 
:lau: :lau:
...i've got lots of documentation on bees, but none of it is written by "the manufacturer".

this really shows your ignorance.  no further comment is needed, you have said it all yourself.

deknow

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:37:41 am »
It is very seldom that anything good comes out of regulation,

You think we should buy prescription drugs on the streets or from the cartels in Mexico?

I think your ego is getting involved here.  You don't need to be a bee keeper to be an inspector.  That is your hang up.  You only need to know what your are looking for to be effective.  99% of all inspections are done by reading documentation (that the manufacturer wrote) and verifying that they actually did it, usually by other supporting documents (again, that the manufacturer wrote).  Very little actually hive inspections need to be done.  If there is a problem it shows up in the documents or the attempted cover up.  Apparently you don't know much about effective inspections.  You are just another bee keeper.

Sorry fat/beeman we did get off topic.
Holy cow, Acebird. Are you a troll? Did you come to this forum to learn anything or just to keep on and keep on and keep on telling us all that you "know?" And speaking of egos and hang-ups...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 07:31:25 am »
 X:X.......Bravo again luvin honey.  

And what does any of the above have to do with the topic; feeding honey to bees?

thomas
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:46:05 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:01 am »
Holy cow, Acebird. Are you a troll?

I came to this site to learn all I can about bee keeping and express my personal views so they can either be rejected or approved by discussion.  If that is a troll then I’m a troll.  Within the first few posts that I made as a newbee I got a few PM’s telling me who’s toes not to step on or I would be beat up on this forum by the gods and their followers.

You notice how it hurts me feelings…

Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:34 am »
I learned some time ago that whenever someone speaks with "absolute" conviction (particularly when repeatedly contradicting themselves) it just means they need a bigger toothbrush :-D

thomas

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:43 am »
I learned some time ago that whenever someone speaks with "absolute" conviction (particularly when repeatedly contradicting themselves) it just means they need a bigger toothbrush

And what does any of the above have to do with the topic; feeding honey to bees?

Start brushing...
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Holy cow, Acebird. Are you a troll?

I came to this site to learn all I can about bee keeping and express my personal views so they can either be rejected or approved by discussion.  If that is a troll then I’m a troll.  Within the first few posts that I made as a newbee I got a few PM’s telling me who’s toes not to step on or I would be beat up on this forum by the gods and their followers.

You notice how it hurts me feelings…

Acebird; your quickly proving (to me) that you are here for anything but learning something.  Your posts speak for themselves, unless you've done some editing :).  Toxic is toxic, regardless of who, what or why its being spread around.

thomas

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:45:50 am »
As a newbie on the forum and a late comer to this discussion, I cautiously want to add a bit about the original question of feeding honey to your bees.

Here is the response I received from Dianna Sammataro when I asked her the question what is the best thing to feed a beehive:
"Honey is always best as long as you know it has no foulbrood spores (they last 80 years), next is sucrose, in either form since no one has looked at beet vs. cane sugar but sucrose is what is naturally in nectar so they do well on it. Frames of honey are best if you have clean honey stored."

Dianna is a co-author of "The Beekeeper's Handbook Third Edition" and works at the Bee Research Lab in Tuscon, Arizona.  She has done research on the effects of honeybee feeding and the microflora in the honey gullet.  As of a year ago there was research pending publication talking about the changes in microflora

Tom

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 10:22:56 am »
next is sucrose, in either form since no one has looked at beet vs. cane sugar but sucrose is what is naturally in nectar so they do well on it.

Until recently I would agree that sugar from cane and sugar from beets would be equal but now that the beets are round up ready GMO I disagree.  I will always choose something non poisoned over poisoned.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 12:02:20 am »
Acebird says:

Until recently I would agree that sugar from cane and sugar from beets would be equal but now that the beets are round up ready GMO I disagree.  I will always choose something non poisoned over poisoned

I agree, I just wanted to put the quote from Diana exactly as she told me.