Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here's a quick video of me lighting my smoker for the first time  (Read 3545 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
I've been practicing with my smoker. Good thing since my bees arrive in a few weeks and I don't know what I'm doing!

Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Here's a quick video of me lighting my smoker for the first time
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:57 pm »
TV,
I'll bet that smoker didn't last more than a half hour. Also after you have it going real well, put your hand over it and see how hot the smoke is when you puff it. You will probably find that before long you are shooting sparks into your bees.
If you have pine trees, pick up a large double handful of them.
Take a small amount of the needles, roll them up and light the end. Use your hive tool to push them into your smoker, lightly. Puff it until it is shooting flames out of the top of the open smoker.
Take another larger handful of needles and roll them up real tight and push them in the smoker with your hive tool (HT). Then while puffing it push it down tight with your HT.  Do this again to pack it real tight.
Keep puffing while packing. Fill it full and close the lid. It will last for about 3 hours or more. At about 3 hours you will need to pack it tight again.
If you do not have pine, take a pare of old jeans and cut them into 1 foot squares. Light the end of one and put it in the smoker, puffing to get it blazing real well. Add more squares and fill it. With jeans, you have to be careful not to seal the smoke from going up through the material.
Even a small amount will last for hours with out puffing.
I use jeans because the smoke is much nicer on me than pine.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:40 am »
You know? It lasted about an hour but I just let it smolder after I kit it. I'm going  to try it again with some of the tips you say. The dryer lint sawdust combo worked pretty good to get it started. I bet the jeans would last a long time. Thanks for the tip!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
Any time Art.
I saw the below technique on a Utube video that Schawee and Iddee did years ago at a Bud meeting and it has worked real well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:13:48 pm »
Did you send an attachment or link?
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »
I looked real hard for it during lunch today but I could not find it. Maybe Iddee knows the correct search words to use and post it here.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything