Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: making candles  (Read 1502 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
making candles
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:04:57 am »
I want to start making candles but I dont know where to start. how do I get started w/o spending alot of money?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: making candles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:22 am »
you can use anything to make candles.  milk cartons are a favorite.  Michaels and other craft stores carry small candle jars.  beekeeping catalogs have molds and books, but i think some are spendy.

see if your library or craft store have some books.  i have found that getting the right wick is the most important thing.  no matter how nice the candle looks, the wrong wick will blow the whole thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:14:16 pm »
I just started making candles (beeswax).  YouTube has all kinds of tutorial type videos, and  many of the online vendors of candle making gear (supplies) have written tutorials on their sites.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:26 pm »
Dipped candles might be the cheapest to make, probably more labor intensive and messy, but no molds to buy, just wicks and something to gently melt the wax.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:40 pm »
We tried making beeswax candles and they didn't seem to burn very well.  Do you need to do anything special to the wax?  The ones we made smelled great, but the wick didn't seem to burn down into the wax very well.
-Mike

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »
do a google search.  there are a couple of good tutorials on beeswax candle making.  how they burn depends on wick size and trimming.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »
What I found just basically said melt clean wax into a mold with a candle wick and make a candle, which is what we did.  My wax was very clean and golden colored, but it didn't seem to burn and melt like a parafin wax candle....is that normal?  The candles look great, but just don't burn worth a darn... :?
-Mike

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:17 pm »
Must have needed a bigger wick.

Offline canadiyank

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »
Any idea what size of wick to use in a votive sized candle? How about a pint jar? I see numbers beside the wick sizes but they mean absolutely nothing to me. Thanks!