Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New keeper from Jacksonville Fl checking in.  (Read 3577 times)

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
New keeper from Jacksonville Fl checking in.
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:14:28 pm »
  Hello Folks,

This is my first year beekeeping, two homemade top bar hives and a 'silver dollar' swarm that didn't make it.

I type slow, you don't have to worry about me being a pest!

I haven't met any other top bar keepers in Jacksonville yet so I spend a lot of time on line searching forums. Somehow I stumbled on this one:
  http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=32674.0

I wasn't through the entire thread when it dawned on me that all the responses were positive, encouraging and even compassionate. What a great bunch of people. That's why I'm here, just wanted to be part of this group.

Nice to meet y'all.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: New keeper from Jacksonville Fl checking in.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:56:03 pm »
Welcome. 

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:59:09 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   :smile:

You might want to look for a local bee club as many have a mentoring program.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. What part of town are you located in?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   It's a great bunch of people here.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:59:06 am »
 Thanks everyone,

I was standing next to one hive yesterday during orientation flights wondering why I waited so long to get into beekeeping. Actually I read an article about their problems and how well they're doing in urban areas, here I am. This is a hobby for me and my goal is to still have bees in the spring.

Mike, I have joined the local club and I'm learning a lot. They have a club apiary with langstroth hives, no top bar specific info but the insight into local flows and pest issues are very helpful. Joining the club was one of my best decisions, great folks.

I'm in the middle of a three week powdered sugar treatment for mites, this weekend will be the last one. I noticed some bad wings and saw a mite on one bee so I figured some treatment was in order. That's the only issue I've come across so far.

I did stumble across a milestone last weekend during the sugar treatment. In the past I was one of those " smoke just makes 'em mad " folks but I had the smoker going just in case and while I was putting sugar on one hive the smoke was drifting to the other one. When I opened the other hive (which is usually very runny) they were all kicked back and easy to work. I heard angels singing! It just takes a little time with the smoke on em.

Hey Jim, I saw you're here in town. I'm in the Old Arlington area close to Bruce Park. The Ag inspector told me there weren't many other keepers around but I did manage to catch a small swarm. The entire swarm would fit in the palm of my hand but there was a laying queen and I had hopes but the queen disappeared and the few bees soon moved on or died. Are you around here? 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 06:55:37 am »
Bobsim,
I'm in East Arlington area. Not too far away. Sounds like you are doing pretty well. Keep the swarm traps out and reset the lemon grass oil every couple of weeks.
I get calls for bees that have moved in to apartments on a regular basis from the Arlington area.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline crazzy_426

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:55:47 pm »
 We seem to be in the same boat. I also started with a home made TBH this year. I just bought a standard 10 frame hive body and super today. I want to see the difference in the two. I still have a unoccupied TBH but was afraid that starting this late with it might be bad sense they draw there own comb.

Offline brumas

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »
I am also here in north Jax. and I am also doing a TBW .  just starting my self

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:53 am »
  Hi Brumas,

Good to hear from you and nice to know there's more keepers around. I'm out of town right now and really miss the bees. Looking forward to getting back to sunny FL.