BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Long hive sides are bowing outwards.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bob Wilson:
You might be right, Acebird. If the 2X10s warp like the 3/4 inch boards, then I might have to defect to the standard langstroth camp.  :wink:

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on May 22, 2022, 07:09:54 pm ---You might be right, Acebird. If the 2X10s warp like the 3/4 inch boards, then I might have to defect to the standard langstroth camp.  :wink:

--- End quote ---
You might get away with a 1/4 threaded rod configured like a pipe clamp fitted just over the cover on the 3/4 wall.  It would be moveable if you made two sets.  Of course you could buy pipe clamps.

jimineycricket:
I have some thin-walled nuc boxes that were warped and bulging and could not be lidded very well.  So I braced them with 3/4 x 3/4 stock on the outside and screwed from the inside.  Is it possible that you could expand this solution to fix your larger long hives?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on May 22, 2022, 07:09:54 pm ---You might be right, Acebird. If the 2X10s warp like the 3/4 inch boards, then I might have to defect to the standard langstroth camp.  :wink:

--- End quote ---

Ace is right. 2Xs will bow as he described. What might help, if you decide  to go that route is painting (sealing) the 2Xs inside and out.
Even though the bees will eventually coat the inside, this will help until their work can be achieved.  In the mean-time, (hopefully),  retarding warpage too a minimal.

Food for thought:
Remember, the humidity will be high inside the hive with bee activity such as nectar drying, moisture exhaust etc., another reason for good ventilation (in this case).

Phillip

cao:
I have not noticed any bowing in any of my long hives(5 of them).  All made of 2x lumber.  One even got slimed by Shb's with honey running out the front a couple years ago and when I cleaned it up, it was basically filled with water and soaking wet for the whole day.  If you have a good solid bottom fastened to the 2x sides, it will take a lot for the boards to warp.  It  also depends on the quality of the lumber used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version