MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE SPORTS BAR

Should UT be allowed to remain in the SEC after last nights hooliganism?

<< < (2/2)

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 17, 2021, 05:36:56 pm ---While watching the game, I had no way of knowing if a player fakes an injury or not from any team. Neither do the fans. Though I was 8 hours away, with a birds eye view of television and replays shown of such injuries. I rather the ruthless Tennessee fans at the game could determine either "and if, in your estimation, there was" "foul play", do you think the behavior of Tennessee fans were justified? If so we may have to agree to disagree on this one.. :shocked: :smile:

--- End quote ---
Absolutely not!  I did say that there is no excuse for behavior like this, regardless of what is going on on the field.  This was an extreme response by the fans, especially considering their team still had a chance to win the game.  Not only mean-spirited, but foolish.  Sports can bring out the best and worst in people.  The response you witnessed at the game you mentioned where the player broke his neck is some of the best, moments where people remember that a sport is just a sport and there is more to life than winning.  But unfortunately in sports there are occasionally moments like this too, where team loyalty entrenches one group of people against another, and in the heat of the moment they forget their humanity.  It's not the first time I've seen it, and it will not be the last, I fear.         

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---It's not the first time I've seen it, and it will not be the last, I fear.         
Modify message

--- End quote ---

I fear the same Member. It was a sad thing to see the cheerleaders covering their heads in protection last night on TV for all the world to see. If immediate and direct action is not taken by the SEC to correct this type of behavior, we can be guaranteed it will happen again, and this time, will not be the last time as you say and I agree.

Hyphitacally we hope the following never happens but could have happened last night to someone (someone's family member):
Please have patience and bare with me if you will.
What if one of our sisters, after working from a tender age in cheer and gymnastics. Graduates High School and receive a scholarship! Wow! Finally reaching her goal and reward of becoming a cheerleader at one of these schools. She travels out of town to the big game, happy and excited to represent her school in anticipating a great and happy time in front of 90,000 plus fans.

What if some "angered" fan were to throw a can of beer, coke, pepsi or whatever from 40, 50, or more feet from above and strike her in the head, (as I said this could have happened last night). Maybe causing permanent injury or death!

Yes I say this can be stopped: Easily stopped by tossing UT out on its butt! From the actions of last nights game. College sports needs desperately to see decisive action in response taken in this case it is up to the SEC to be the leader. I would suspect the next time some angered fan from any school, from any conference, be it whoever including Ole Miss, where to rare back to chunk, the fan next to him would most likely stop in before it left his hand.

Like Barney Fife might say nip it in the bud..   :grin:

Ben Framed:
Member I do not like what happened last night but I do like and respect you. Debating this important issue with you, I hope you do not take it personal. This problem must be stopped without plastic guards etc. but by the self restraint of the fans themselves. I theroize if the action is taken that I suggests, this nonsense will cease..  I may be wrong, the morals of mankind may be too far gone? I sure hope not....

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 17, 2021, 07:19:20 pm ---Member I do not like what happened last night but I do like and respect you. Debating this important issue with you, I hope you do not take it personal. This problem must be stopped without plastic guards etc. but by the self restraint of the fans themselves. I theroize if the action is taken that I suggests, this nonsense will cease..  I may be wrong, the morals of mankind may be too far gone? I sure hope not....

Phillip

--- End quote ---
Oh not at all, I think this sort of discussion is very healthy.  I was also discussing it with my Dad today, and he shares your opinion that it was somewhat premeditated, or at least that the fans were looking for an excuse.  He remembers something about the Old Miss coach leaving UT for a better offer from another school, and he feels like the Tennessee fans felt betrayed by him and were looking for a pound of flesh, and unfortunately they were willing to extract it not only from him, but from his entire team.  That certainly doesn't make their actions right, but that does seem to fit the story, with something like bringing golf balls to a football game.  :shocked:       

Ben Framed:
Thank you Reagan for your continued show, of what I consider to be; Wisdom!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version