BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

A TBH question...

(1/2) > >>

Apis629:
I'm thinking about splitting a colony (currently in a langstroth 10 frame) or making plans to next year two brood cycles before the jacoranda honeyflow.  The only reason I'm bringing this to the forum is that I want to start a TBH.  I realize that there are many different types of TBHs but I wanted answers from someone who is experienced in keeping them.  My main question is, what features (i.e. screened bottom, sloping or virticle sides, etc.)are recomended?

Michael Bush:
>My main question is, what features (i.e. screened bottom, sloping or virticle sides, etc.)are recomended?

I think sloping or vertical both work fine.  Getting the right comb size for the shape has been a struggle for me to find a comb size and shape that wouldn't collapse.  If you have langstroth hives, I'd build a three box long langstroth box and put 3/8" by 19" by 1 1/4" bars in half of it and 1 1/2" bars for the other half.  Try to get the brood on the 1 1/4" bars and the honey on the 1 1/2" bars.

My TTBH (three box long medium depth langstroth box with top bars) has a SBB, but my KTBH does not.  Both seem to work fine.

There are pictures on my web site:

www.bushfarms.com

Phoenix:
Isn't that a TMLBTBH...? :lol:

Michael Bush:
I thought it was a TBLMDLBWTB

or

three box long medium depth langstroth box with top bars

I haven't quite figured out what TMLBTBH is.

Miss Chick-a-BEE:
Ya all are pretty silly. :) But I took a shot at the TMLBTBH. I think that's a Three Medium Langstroth Box Top Bar Hive? (tongue twister)

Beth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version