BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REPRINT ARTICLE ARCHIVES

Prescription-only for Bee's in Europe??

(1/4) > >>

TwT:
Thursday, December 09, 2004
Beekeepers urged to lobby European Commission
Opposition is growing to the European Commission's plans to make bee medicines prescription-only and therefore available only through vets.

Because bees are classed as food-producing animals, they are falling within the remit of a new European Directive that requires all medical treatments for food-producing animals to be administered or at least monitored by vets.

Beekeepers fear that this added layer in the medicines chain will significantly increase treatment prices, discourage use of approved products, and result in a lot more bee deaths. Irony of ironies, the legislation is likely to lead to more contamination of honey because some beekeepers may resort to unapproved treatments. To top it all vets (in the UK at least) have no formal training or professional knowledge of honeybees.

In short, the new legislation seems crazy and counter-productive. Beekeepers are amused by the idea of vets coming to see their bees to prescribe treatments. “You want to see all the bees? Let me round them up.” Or do beekeepers take a hive to the vets? “What do you have in your pet carrier?”

Beekeepers across the EU are being encouraged to lobby for an exemption of honeybees from the legislation and are being urged to contact the relevant agency in their European Union Member State. Already the agency in the UK -- the VMD (Veterinary Medicines Directorate) -- is committed to pushing for the honeybee exemption.

The new legislation is also causing some consternation amongst those who deal with what are affectionately known as “non-food chain horses”.

BigRog:
That's ridiculous
Typically farmers medicate almost all crops and livestock on their own. Most vets never treat "food chain animals"

Jerrymac:
The article is about some other country. But just wait, sooner or later "THEY" will figure out how to legislate it here.

Finman:

--- Quote from: TwT ---Thursday, December 09, 2004
Beekeepers urged to lobby European Commission
Opposition is growing to the European Commission's plans to make bee medicines prescription-only and therefore available only through vets.

--- End quote ---

What is fact and what is urban story?

What is medicine? Are treatment chemicals medicines?
There is no reason to give law, which cannot be audited, we say in Finland.

In Finland only vet can prescipt antibiot. But in European Union there is no limits for antibiots and no sign is allowed in honey. However people use antibiots and the source can be another animimal's receipt.

EU is wide. There are many styles to live.

Also there is a gang which invent all kind of stupid news and deliver them for news. Brittish especially practises this kind of humour.

It is EU now but it does not disturb beekeeper, if he does not want EU's support money for his hives.  Beeling is a little factor in EU.

People himself are grazy. My wife obeyed me that I must call vet to our summer cottage because there was wild cat with it's kids. Why I asked. Vet must catch the cat and kill it. I said that I can do it and I break it's neck. - That was not possible to my wife and can stayed on yard.

Then we heard that  our  nabour has 52 cat in his house  -- without EU persimmission..... hehe heh :wink:

asleitch:

--- Quote from: BigRog ---That's ridiculous
Typically farmers medicate almost all crops and livestock on their own. Most vets never treat "food chain animals"
--- End quote ---

Correct, and their is a campaign already underway in England to stop such a stupid piece of legislation. Even the Bee Inspectors cannot prescribe things, even if they find infected colonies.

Like it says, no Vets have any formal training for beekeeping or identification of disease at all (in the UK at least). You won't even be able to purchase varroa treatments (Apistan, Apiguard etc) without the vet inspecting your bees.

Adam

[Actually, if this goes through, it going to be funny, can you imagine sitting in the vets surgery with a beehive?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version