Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Condense?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Condense?
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:43:13 am »
After a quick check of the hives yesterday I found that Hive 1 (the hive on the bottom in my profile picture) is completely out of the bottom box and they're all in the top. Should I take the bottom box off and reduce them? Or keep them with both boxes?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Condense?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 01:00:25 pm »
I would probably leave the empty.  If it was on the top this time of year I would remove it.  On the bottom, I don't bother with it.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »
Xerox, You want to avoid chilling the bees.  With that in mind;

are there any stores in the bottom box?  Common during winter for bees to move upward in a two deep hive.  In my area, Arkansas, it?s still to cold to tamper with or adjust the boxes.  I don?t know your high and low temps?  If it is cold, 45F and lower, I would leave the lower box alone even if empty.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »
Xerox, You want to avoid chilling the bees.  With that in mind;

are there any stores in the bottom box?  Common during winter for bees to move upward in a two deep hive.  In my area, Arkansas, it?s still to cold to tamper with or adjust the boxes.  I don?t know your high and low temps?  If it is cold, 45F and lower, I would leave the lower box alone even if empty.

Blessings

Were going to have some warm days soon. I dont know if it is empty or not. They are at the top eating the sugar I provided for them.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:59 pm »
Last spring I Had 2 hives that looked 90% full in the second deep I added a third deep. In June I added a fourth deep, all summer we had some flow to a good flow,  In Sept I started to harvest a record honey flow and went completely through the hive.  I am sure some of you know where this going, when I got to the bottom deep it was 100% empty, LESSON, look closer.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 01:19:39 pm »
Last spring I Had 2 hives that looked 90% full in the second deep I added a third deep. In June I added a fourth deep, all summer we had some flow to a good flow,  In Sept I started to harvest a record honey flow and went completely through the hive.  I am sure some of you know where this going, when I got to the bottom deep it was 100% empty, LESSON, look closer.

I didn't look in the bottom box much because I usually start with the top and when I get to the bottom the bees are all aggressive. That's how I got my first and only sting of the season.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 02:24:50 pm »
I didn't look in the bottom box much because I usually start with the top and when I get to the bottom the bees are all aggressive. That's how I got my first and only sting of the season.

Xerox - heres what I do to prevent the bees from getting overly aggressive during a major inspection: I pull apart the entire hive at the start, and stack the boxes in reverse order on the lid, next to the hive. This prevents pusing angry bees deeper into the hive during inspection, and allows me to inspect the bottom box first. When I finish inspecting the bottom box, I put the next box back on the bottom box, and inspect it - and so-on, until I have the hive completely back in the original order.

Since I run 8-frame medium equipment, my hives can be 6 or more boxes high at the peak of the flow. Inspecting top-down creates an angry mess of condensed bees by the time you reach the bottom box. My approach (learned here on beemaster) minimizes this problem. I completely inspect bigger hives about 3 times a year. Fwiw.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 02:58:31 pm »
I second what Coolbees said regarding inspecting. I would assume that it?s not necessary to remove the bottom box. All it will do is disrupt the hive in chillier temps.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »

Xerox - heres what I do to prevent the bees from getting overly aggressive during a major inspection: I pull apart the entire hive at the start, and stack the boxes in reverse order on the lid, next to the hive. This prevents pusing angry bees deeper into the hive during inspection, and allows me to inspect the bottom box first. When I finish inspecting the bottom box, I put the next box back on the bottom box, and inspect it - and so-on, until I have the hive completely back in the original order.

Since I run 8-frame medium equipment, my hives can be 6 or more boxes high at the peak of the flow. Inspecting top-down creates an angry mess of condensed bees by the time you reach the bottom box. My approach (learned here on beemaster) minimizes this problem. I completely inspect bigger hives about 3 times a year. Fwiw.

Ok I will try this next year and also will not remove the bottom box

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 07:01:38 pm »
Why would you need to move bottom brood chamber?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
I'm not to smart, but if bee's in a 2-10 deep , and have moved up! What have you giving them up top ? Above them?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 10:03:07 pm »
I'm not to smart, but if bee's in a 2-10 deep , and have moved up! What have you giving them up top ? Above them?

I gave them sugar and after a quick check they have some honey frames so they should be good food wise

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »
If the bottom box is empty, sure, take it off.  If it has stores in it and the weather is cold, leave them alone.  If it's warm and there are stores in the bottom box, maybe consolidate some of those into the top box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything