Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 52741 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2024, 11:45:54 pm »
Joe and I went for a walk up a dry stream bed yesterday. I had just purchased a new coil for one of my detectors and wanted to try it out. The gold was hard to find but we managed to bring home a few pieces including one sunbaker.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2024, 06:19:28 pm »
The creek that we had been working for the past couple of months had stopped giving us much gold so we decided that it was time to move on. Last week we had about 10 inches of rain and the creeks flooded so we decided to go back and give it one more  try. When we arrived, we noticed that the water in that creek hadn?t risen as much as we?d hoped and the gravels and rocks didn?t move around to the extent that we wanted. We decided to work the creek anyway and struggled for 9 pieces between us. Every piece came as a result of flood movement so we were pleased that there is still potential for the area in the future. We just need a big flood  before we come back. We have found some new areas to explore and can?t wait to get there in the coming weeks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2024, 09:33:16 pm »
Les,
Have you thought about picking a fast moving area and digging a hole in the bottom of the creek so that it would naturally collect the gold nuggets? I would pick a spot just down stream of a big flat rock. Might bee worth trying.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #343 on: Today at 01:56:40 am »
The theory is good Jim. That would work as we often find gold in depressions like that. A 20 ton excavator would be just what we need.🥴🥴🥴  Dig a deep hole down to bedrock, wait for the next flood and then come back to find that someone else has reaped the rewards of your effort. 😂😂😂😂 If you we?re prepared to fly out and dig the hole, I?d be more than happy to go 50/50  :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #344 on: Today at 07:56:19 am »
Couldn?t you just put a traffic cone in it and claim it? :cheesy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #345 on: Today at 09:22:26 am »
Les,
I thought you were working in a small creek not a river. 😆
I figured if you found the right rock and with a shovel you dig a hole under the down stream side it would tend to catch heavy material.  Just how many gold prospectors do you have working your area?

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #346 on: Today at 06:28:36 pm »
Hi Jim,

I have attached a photo of the creek about a mile or so upstream from where we were working. This may give you some idea of the size and scope of the area we are prospecting in. Unfortunately there was no gold to be found in this section. The beautiful rock bars make superb gold traps. Prospecting is a popular hobby in Australia. Many thousands of people participate in this activity which is great to see but as a consequence, gold is becoming harder to find. I wish I started 30 years ago. It?s even more addictive than beekeeping.