Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Let?s see if this works (cutout)  (Read 2757 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Let?s see if this works (cutout)
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
I went to a neighbor call that had a 5-6 comb small cutout in a 3/3 wood box
Yes!!!! I found her!!! I marked her and left her in a cage while I rubberbanded the comb to frames. I just went by there 2 days later and bees are in the box working the comb. I released the Q.
I hope in two days the results are the same so I can bring them home-
2 achievements- identifying the Q and installing comb in a nuc
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Let?s see if this works (cutout)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:49 pm »
Very well done Salty. I hope it all works out.  :happy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:32:59 pm »
Good job Salty.
It was smart to keep her caged for two days.
It helps but is no guarantee. I did the same a month ago and a week later they swarmed to a tree. They then refused to move into a Nuc.
Bees will bee bees.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »
Jim, did you provide the bees with a frame of brood?  I have never witnessed bees abandon a full frame of brood although I am sure it has happened.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:00:53 pm »
Salty I want to congratulate you also. Doesn't it feel good when we find the queen on a cutout!  GOOD JOB!!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 11:01:39 pm »
Thanks to my friends here!!
It?s up to me

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 02:59:15 pm »
Congratulations, Salty!

I found if it's a young cutout with pristine white comb, they have a tendency to abscond - even with combs full of brood. Happened me two times before I learned. Having the queen caged will help prevent that but, I'd suggest you put a piece of queen excluder on your entrance for a few weeks to prevent this.  Gives them time to settle in.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 04:43:29 pm »
Congratulations, Salty!

I found if it's a young cutout with pristine white comb, they have a tendency to abscond - even with combs full of brood. Happened me two times before I learned. Having the queen caged will help prevent that but, I'd suggest you put a piece of queen excluder on your entrance for a few weeks to prevent this.  Gives them time to settle in.

Thanks
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 06:37:05 pm »
Jim, did you provide the bees with a frame of brood?  I have never witnessed bees abandon a full frame of brood although I am sure it has happened.

Blessings
Van
They had their own brood and abandoned them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:45:54 pm »
Thanks Jim, good to know.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 12:47:20 am »
Salty, 2Sox is right. That can and does happen sometimes. His advise I second.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:24 pm »
I know I?ve heard this before but do I keep them closed up in the nuc for Any  amount of time once they come home then open their door in a couple days?
It?s up to me

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 10:32:29 pm »
I know I?ve heard this before but do I keep them closed up in the nuc for Any  amount of time once they come home then open their door in a couple days?

A cutout is a tremendously stressful experience for a colony.  Locking them in for a few days would add to that stress and make things worse. Probably make them even more likely to abscond.  I'd treat them like any other cutout, but just put on an entrance guard to keep the queen in. They'll be fine once they settle in. 

You might want to put in a few frames of honey and pollen.  If you don't have any, feed syrup and pollen pattie. Then just leave them alone for awhile.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 12:06:34 am »
? but just put on an entrance guard to keep the queen in. They'll be fine once they settle in.?

I think what 2Sox is saying here is using a queen excluder guard that way the workers can come and go as they please, allowing the colony to settle in while at the same time, not allowing the queen to leave before she also settles down and starts laying, (setting up house). Is this right 2Sox?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:37:29 am by Ben Framed »

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 12:36:54 am »
? but just put on an entrance guard to keep the queen in. They'll be fine once they settle in.?

I think what 2Sox is saying here is using a queen excluded guard that way the workers can come and go as they please, allowing the colony to settle in while at the same time, not allowing the queen to leave before she also settled down and starts laying, (setting up house). Is this right 2Sox?

Yes. An entrance guard is just a catalog item - a piece of excluder mounted on wood. Easy to place on a flat landing board.  The main idea is to keep the queen inside while the bees come and go and get accustomed to their new home for awhile.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 05:46:33 pm »
Yes!!!! I found her!!! I marked her and left her in a cage while I rubberbanded the comb to frames. I just went by there 2 days later and bees are in the box working the comb. I released the Q.

Salty, doing good, you have come a long way.  From the beginning you posted and allowed us to share in your progress.  I well remember your first post, barefoot with little knowledge having trouble finding the queen.  Now you are doing cutouts, locating the queen.  Yep, Yes Sir, you will do just fine with the bees.  Keep posting for us Salty.
Blessings
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 10:39:56 pm »

Salty, doing good, you have come a long way.  From the beginning you posted and allowed us to share in your progress.  I well remember your first post, barefoot with little knowledge having trouble finding the queen.  Now you are doing cutouts, locating the queen.  Yep, Yes Sir, you will do just fine with the bees.  Keep posting for us Salty.
Blessings
Van

Mr Van you nailed it. Salty is doing well!
Phillip

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 02:45:55 pm »
https://youtu.be/s9adTHhulM0

Lil robbing maybe but maybe good hive?! All 5 frames have bees
It?s up to me

anything