Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeeFest 2022  (Read 21025 times)

Offline Joyspencer

• New Bee
Re: BeeFest 2022
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2022, 08:15:59 pm »
This photo was taken just moments before removing the swarm from the tree.

Offline Joyspencer

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2022, 08:17:19 pm »
The schedule for Bee Fest 2022!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2022, 10:05:33 pm »
Thank you Joyspencer for the pictures! Looks like everyone is having a good time! What a blessing to be at such a great event with fellow beekeepers! It was mighty nice to get an autographed book by Mr Bush! He is a beekeeping legend!
Oh yes! Welcome to Beemaster!!  Thank you for immediate contributions here! You hit the beemaster ground running! 😊 Glad to have you here!

Sincerely,

Phillip

PS It is nice to see the young folks there also!!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:59:50 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2022, 11:57:09 pm »
Joy,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. 🤗
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2022, 08:31:13 am »
Welcome Joyspencer.  So sorry I missed this, especially the swarm catch.  Hopeful for next year.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2022, 09:27:05 pm »
Here are some more pictures from BeeFest.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2022, 09:51:33 pm »
Oh my gosh, the girls' faces in that first picture!  So cute!  :happy:  What exactly is going on in the last picture with that plant and the open hive? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2022, 10:20:04 pm »
I think that's the swarm dropped into a hive.

Love the pics!

How did ya get that swarm right there, right then? Did you invite them to Beefest?  :cool: How did you do that?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 10:31:06 pm »
Oh my gosh, the girls' faces in that first picture!  So cute!  :happy:  What exactly is going on in the last picture with that plant and the open hive? 
That was the swarm that was hanging in tree.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2022, 10:38:10 pm »

Love the pics!

How did ya get that swarm right there, right then? Did you invite them to Beefest?  :cool: How did you do that?

I just asked the bees and they agreed. They gave us three swarms so far.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2022, 12:28:50 am »

Love the pics!

I just asked the bees and they agreed. They gave us three swarms so far.
Jim Altmiller
Oh, I get it.  And thanks for asking my follow-up question, FG.  Seriously, does it always time out this well, Jim? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2022, 06:30:19 am »
I had a lot of fun this weekend and learned a few more things that I didn't know.  Unfortunately, my pasty office worker skin got way more exposure than I expected.  It's 5:30 AM on Sunday morning and it hurts to move.  I don't think I'm going to make it up there today.

Thank you Jim and Judy for your awesome hospitality.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2022, 08:31:13 am »
Member,
They actually started swarming a week ago. The swarms we had this weekend were secondary swarms.  Yesterday we went into a hive and took out half a dozen queens, opened the cap and caught them as they walked out, in order to stop the swarming.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2022, 12:35:11 pm »
Re: our conversation about Randy Oliver and the "cull pen" concept. Here are two articles that I was referencing, I may have been reading some of my own thoughts into his articles. :)

https://scientificbeekeeping.com/selective-breeding-for-mite-resistance-1000-hives-100-hours/
https://scientificbeekeeping.com/selective-breeding-for-mite-resistance-walking-the-walk/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2022, 01:04:58 pm »
I had a lot of fun this weekend and learned a few more things that I didn't know.  Unfortunately, my pasty office worker skin got way more exposure than I expected.  It's 5:30 AM on Sunday morning and it hurts to move.  I don't think I'm going to make it up there today.

Thank you Jim and Judy for your awesome hospitality.
Sorry to hear that, Stitch!  I have a phenomenal recipe for homemade sunburn cream that uses honey and beeswax.  I'll go post it in the crafting section so people can find it in the future.  You may be too incapacitated to make it for this sunburn, but it really helps.  Even just straight up honey is great for sunburns, actually all burns, as you may already know. 

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2022, 01:11:50 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Stitch!  I have a phenomenal recipe for homemade sunburn cream that uses honey and beeswax.  I'll go post it in the crafting section so people can find it in the future.  You may be too incapacitated to make it for this sunburn, but it really helps.  Even just straight up honey is great for sunburns, actually all burns, as you may already know.

I appreciate it.  I hit the sunburn with fresh cut aloe as soon as I got home, which seems to have stopped much of the damage.  The overall cruddiness that comes with the heat will pass in time.  It may be partly due to the mead as well. lol

Side note: I seem to have left my OA Vaporizer up there.  If anyone from the clay group can pick it up and bring it to the next meeting, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I'll have to make another trip later to Jim's place to grab it.  I likely left it on the grill after the OA demo.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2022, 06:10:14 pm »

I appreciate it.  I hit the sunburn with fresh cut aloe as soon as I got home, which seems to have stopped much of the damage.  The overall cruddiness that comes with the heat will pass in time.  It may be partly due to the mead as well. lol

Side note: I seem to have left my OA Vaporizer up there.  If anyone from the clay group can pick it up and bring it to the next meeting, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I'll have to make another trip later to Jim's place to grab it.  I likely left it on the grill after the OA demo.
Matt,
Huey has your OA machine. He said he should see you at the  lay County Bee Meeting.
Judy used Publix Pure Aloeveraon a really bad sunburn and the pain was gone right away and it never pealed. Good stuff
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2022, 09:33:42 am »
Here are some more pictures of BeeFest. The sky was pretty cloudy so we were all covered up.

Here is a bee cake that Judy made for BeeFest.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2022, 12:12:11 pm »
Matt,
Huey has your OA machine. He said he should see you at the  lay County Bee Meeting.
Judy used Publix Pure Aloeveraon a really bad sunburn and the pain was gone right away and it never pealed. Good stuff
Jim Altmiller

Awesome!  Thank you!

I keep aloe plants around my property for those unfortunate welding/soldering/mechanic incidents.  Probably my favorite thing to grow.  :)

-Matt
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2022, 11:34:01 am »
I just want to say thanks to jim and judy for a really nice weekend.

anything