Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarming  (Read 881 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
swarming
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
too early for swarming? in north ks. hove a newly built hive baited with swarm commander. about 20 ft. from occupied hive. i see large numbers of bees in the air and entering the new hive. lots of bees on the outside of the occupied hive. the temp is in the 80s however they are saying we will get temp in the 30s soon. if they do swarm into the new hive should i feed.syrup , pollen?   :shocked:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: swarming
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:10:34 pm »
If there is no food available, yes. That being said, bees normally swarm during a flow so you should not need to feed them. Remember feeding is the main cause of robbing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:00:20 pm »
I will have to disagree with Jim here. After June, I will agree with him, but in April, I would feed a new colony either until they filled the first box or quit taking it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:47 am »
In my area, April, May and June is our best flow.  After June I would need to feed, feed ,feed.

anything