Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: polystyrene beehive Question Using In Down Under  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Tauseef

• New Bee
polystyrene beehive Question Using In Down Under
« on: August 18, 2020, 10:11:46 pm »
HI All Great Beekeepers

I have a question related to polystyrene beehive ,
i am planning to expand my Apiary , perhaps adding 10 Hives
I have been recommended by an experience Bee Keeper that polystyrene beehive
are great investment. Compare to Wooden one

More Lighter
They increase Brood
winter well
Increase Honey Production

any wise advise would be greatly appreciated . I  do need take into
count cost comparison and  return on investment.

Thanks and Regards
Tauseef
MELBOURNE AU

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: polystyrene beehive Question Using In Down Under
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:01:22 pm »
Though I am not the person qualified to answer your question, I welcome you to beemaster! Someone who has used both, will chime in soon I feel sure.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:25:52 am »
We run one third polystyrene, Paradise. They are on pallets 2 hives per pallet.
Their insulating properties are good in both winter and summer. We don't like the plastic queen excluders and have been replaced with steel.
I can't verify the extra honey as they tend to run as a group and we don't have a comparison.
All the logic says if they are cooler or warmer they will use less honey.
Quick to assemble and a couple of coats of exterior paint and they are in production.
Bees don't care, wood or polystyrene.
300kg per load lighter than wood.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 08:22:14 pm »
I have run polystyrene brood boxes exclusively since 2005. Brood builds well and I leave the screens open all winter with no upper entrance as intended by the designers. They are light and easy to handle. I am still using the original boxes I purchased in 2005. Brood tends to be on one side of the box instead of the center, I believe because the sides are Warmer than in wooden.

You will need a heavy object on the lid as they are very light and would blow off in a strong wind.

The only time I?ve lost equipment has been due to bear invasion.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LawyerRick

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 09:18:42 pm »
I have 6 Apimaye 10 frame Langstroths & 4 seven frame Apimaye nucs.  Much better for the bees, especially during winter. Less honey consumed during summer & winter. I am phasing out my wooden hives & trying alternatives.  I just bought a Technosetbee polystyrene hive setup & will put it through the paces this winter as well.  After using insulated poly hives, I'll never go back to wood.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »
I have one 10 frame double deep.  Cooler in summer, winters very well with our 8F for lows.  Treating with Oxalic acid vapor is cautious as the heat will melt the styrofoam.  The air vents are a real plus especially for curing nectar, reducing moisture.  After one year, the bees are starting to chew the foam at the entrance.  Lightweight is a definite plus.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 07:39:33 am »
You have to be careful with wax moth, only had one case in polystyrene and the larvae went straight through it.
Coat of waterproof glue inside and out and 2 coats of paint and back into the system.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »
That?s interesting as I?ve not had a single case of wax moth since I switched to poly. Had them every year in wood. Don?t know why

Offline Tauseef

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 07:32:38 pm »
Hi Great Beekeeper
I would like to thanks to all for providing great feedback
I would possibly go ahead in my purchase.

The other question should I paint them inside and outside
Or just outside

Outside

Thanks

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44:35 am »
Amymcg
Just luck, the moths do no discriminate.

Tauseef
Just paint the surfaces that are exposed to the sun to prevent oxidation, We don't paint the top and bottom surfaces of the boxes. Stops the paint welding together.
If you do wax over the paint to stop sticking.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:07:30 am »
Definitely paint the outside as sunlight breaks down poly very quickly. Inside is not necessary.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 05:59:51 pm »
Hi Great Beekeeper
I would like to thanks to all for providing great feedback
I would possibly go ahead in my purchase.

The other question should I paint them inside and outside
Or just outside

Outside

Thanks

As stated, paint outside.  Be sure and glue your joints.  I used polyurethane glue.  With provided screws and subsequent strong glue, the styrofoam hives are very strong regarding the joints.  If you have small hive beetle, pay close attention to the air vents.  I had to screen all my air vents to prevent entry of the beetles.  Easy to screen a vent, silicone and a very small piece of window type screen, #16 worked great for me.

The air vents on the BetterBee are large enough to allow entry of the small hive beetle but as already described, a simple fix.

Your going to adore the light weight and snap latches at all hive body joints.

Cheers

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 07:27:08 pm »
Paradise hives just push together, I use Titebond III only on the lugs.
If for what ever reason you break a styrene box they do glue and screw, 3", back together easier than wood.
If a wooden or polystyrene come off the trailer at 100kph or 60 mph, they all break the same but I have resurrected polystyrene better from the bits.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 08:00:36 pm »
The bee max hives also push together. Just glue with wood glue for support. The lids do not have vents like the lyson hives do.

I have four bee max and two Lyson. There are pros and cons to both.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 08:25:49 pm »
Paradise hives just push together, I use Titebond III only on the lugs.
If for what ever reason you break a styrene box they do glue and screw, 3", back together easier than wood.
If a wooden or polystyrene come off the trailer at 100kph or 60 mph, they all break the same but I have resurrected polystyrene better from the bits.

Hello Mr. Beavo,  I noticed you stated you use titebond 3.  Just some info for thought. For your consideration, Sir: titebond utilizes moisture in wood for curing the glue.  In other words, moisture is the hardening or curing agent of the glue with original titebond.  So, if your humidity is high, no worries with titebond.  However styrofoam does not absorb moisture like wood so consider.  Also I do not know about titebond 3, wether the glue is moisture dependent?

I use polyurethane with screws with my styrofoam hive which is also moisture dependent but humidity is in Arkansas, so it works.

Cheers

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 09:15:17 am »
Mr Van
I am unsure about how the glue works, but when a polystyrene box breaks the glue stays in place and the styrene gives way.
We use it for its water resistance and also heat tolerance for wax dipping wooden boxes.
Also in wooden boxes the pine give way before the glue does.