Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Long Live The Queen!  (Read 1425 times)

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
Long Live The Queen!
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:15 pm »
Upon a full inspection that I just completed prior to a Mite Away treatment... I have determined that the status quo from a few weeks ago has changed! My 2019 Queen has either been superseded... or I had a swarm and didn't know it. As it stands, I have a brand new Queen.

Some pics of her new offspring... not sure if I should be concerned about the ones that are pure white hanging slightly out of the cells.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Long Live The Queen!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:21:33 am »
Lots of pollen. 

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:14:04 am »
I see one small hive beetle, pearl white healthy larva and a few larva in process of being removed.  Lots of bee bread. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:44:54 am »
I hate to hijack your thread but since you posted great clear pics of larva of different stages. I?ve yet to try grafting. Plan on it next year. On the top pic. On the fourth row under the bee there are two older larva. In between the two is a young one. Is it the right age to graft?  I see a couple about that size.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Long Live The Queen!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:45 am »
Hi Nock.  On your grafting larvae question.  Here is your guide:
- if the larva arched shaped like a comma or text bracket  -  (  - Go ahead and graft it.
- if the larva is   -  C  -  shaped the. It is too old, leave it.

The larva in the picture you describe is C shaped.  Therefore too old.

Hi spafmagic,  in the third picture.  I see some chalk brood. Usually from a drop in nurse bee population or temperature, or both.  If there is a new queen and good bee population do not worry about. It will disappear with hygiene and a new prolific queen. Depending where you are, you may be approaching end of season, where consider condensing and compacting the bees into fewer boxes. ( A smaller house is easier to clean and care ).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:12:21 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:41:39 pm »

So more like this one? Thanks HP.

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 02:53:03 pm »
And thank you all for the input... @Nock... no prob man.
@TheHoneyPump, August is half way done... soon enough the fall flow will kick in. Definitely have a fair amount of bees in my Jamestown hive. My Kernersville hive is a fair bit more populated.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 03:27:19 pm »
I am posting this to complement Mr HPs drawing. Picture credit Bob Binnie
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 04:47:56 pm »
I hate to hijack your thread but since you posted great clear pics of larva of different stages. I?ve yet to try grafting. Plan on it next year. On the top pic. On the fourth row under the bee there are two older larva. In between the two is a young one. Is it the right age to graft?  I see a couple about that size.

Yes, that is the correct age, looks to be about 20-24 hr. has an egg upper right of the larva, just to be sure we are talking about the same larva.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 04:59:18 pm »
Hi Nock.  On your grafting larvae question.  Here is your guide:
- if the larva arched shaped like a comma or text bracket  -  (  - Go ahead and graft it.
- if the larva is   -  C  -  shaped the. It is too old, leave it.

The larva in the picture you describe is C shaped.  Therefore too old.

Hi spafmagic,  in the third picture.  I see some chalk brood. Usually from a drop in nurse bee population or temperature, or both.  If there is a new queen and good bee population do not worry about. It will disappear with hygiene and a new prolific queen. Depending where you are, you may be approaching end of season, where consider condensing and compacting the bees into fewer boxes. ( A smaller house is easier to clean and care ).

HP, I enlarged the photo and I cannot see chalkbrood in the bottom pic?  Could you point out the culprit by row column number if you have the time.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »
It appears there are 2, almost centre of the picture. If you blow it up there are a few more. They are shrinking in the cell.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 07:55:11 pm »
Yellow circles.
Minor.  Nothing of significance to be concerned about ... yet.  Few pointers made above.
This silly BM board, resolution is lost due to the upload size limit.  Anyways, compare the location of the circles to the original to see them clearly.

If it doesn't clear up once the new queen gets ramped up, start looking very closely, sampling, for varroa mite levels.  These sunken larvae can also be early signs of PMS, parasitic mite syndrome.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:40:34 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 07:59:29 pm »
Thank you Mr. Beavo.  I think I see one, center and just to the right side.  My eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, but I can still GO OUT AND COME IN as Mosses used to say to describe good health.

Hope your, Mr. Beavo, side of the world is at peace.

Thank you HP, we post at same time.  Hope peace is with you as well.