Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is everyone doing outside today Spinoff from same title in GB. about bees  (Read 5611 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
The last two times I used it was at work running fiber and electrical under a wharf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
That usually has me going through the fuel system even with non ethanol and stabilizer.

The next time you use it, when loaded back on the trailer. Before pulling it out of the water simply disconnect the quick connect of the fuel line and let the engine run, burning out the fuel which is still in the Carburetor until the engine dies. This drains the gas from the carburetor, saving you the trouble described .
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
I used to fish year round and it was never an issue. For a few years when I quit going regularly I told myself it doesn?t cost me anything for it to sit there. But the last two years it was a day of prep work, a new battery, re-wiring the lights and cleaning the salt corrosion from the wiring new light fixtures and accessory ports, new speakers?Although I was using it on a job, we spent a few evenings riding up to the waterfront fish houses with slips at the deck and grabbing some supper.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I used to fish year round and it was never an issue. For a few years when I quit going regularly I told myself it doesn?t cost me anything for it to sit there. But the last two years it was a day of prep work, a new battery, re-wiring the lights and cleaning the salt corrosion from the wiring new light fixtures and accessory ports, new speakers?Although I was using it on a job, we spent a few evenings riding up to the waterfront fish houses with slips at the deck and grabbing some supper.

Boats can be a pain.  :grin:
I know what you mean. Just for 'simple fishing' and trot line running, it hard to beat a good ole fashion Jon boat with a portable, detachable motor..  I have had both set ups. I had a 14' Jon boat with a 7.5 mercury that would do all I needed to do as far as basic fishing goes. I do not live near salt water, all fresh water in my area. Three major reservoirs, also 3 nice river cutoffs lakes as well, plus several smaller public lakes... 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Beemaster2

This field, as are most of my fields, is filled with old stumps. I had to use my new ground plow/disc plow.
I thought disc plows were only use when the ground was chemically treated to kill everything so all you had to do was scratch the surface.  Clearing the field of roots, stumps and big rocks is the first step even if you use a bottom plow.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Ace,
I tried to use a Bottom plow when I first moved here. The Gallberry roots were so thick that I straitened out that plow to the point it is unusable.
The disc you are referring to is a harrow. It works best on previously cleared/plowed fields. It will cut through grass and other crops real well but not a field full of heavy roots and rotted stumps.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
The Gallberry roots were so thick that I straitened out that plow to the point it is unusable.

Of course.  The field must be cleared to use the plow.  And that is quite a job with a small tractor.  I made a hook out of wide flanged steel to clear my field.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nJ9HVktmKgHibcHN7
Later I doubled it up as the ground got cleared.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2eM5TayiBsSSuGyG6
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
The Gallberry roots were so thick that I straitened out that plow to the point it is unusable.

Of course.  The field must be cleared to use the plow.  And that is quite a job with a small tractor.  I made a hook out of wide flanged steel to clear my field.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nJ9HVktmKgHibcHN7
Later I doubled it up as the ground got cleared.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2eM5TayiBsSSuGyG6
That?s pretty good there.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Here is the same field 9 days after planting the seed.

Ace,
The new ground plow does a great job of cutting up 3? cross roots and old stumps.
It also saves a step because I then would still have to run the plow through.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Looks great Jim.  My concern is if the soil is not turned over and just cut up the plants that were there will just grow again and compete with what you planted.  It might not matter depending on what you are going to use the field for.
Even if you used a bottom plow buried weed seeds would grow so it takes a couple of tilling passes over time to eliminate the weeds before planting.  That is why Round up is so popular.  Kill everything and then just plant.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Ace,
The new ground plow
Do you have a picture of the plow?  Is it just a disc?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Looks great Jim.  My concern is if the soil is not turned over and just cut up the plants that were there will just grow again and compete with what you planted.  It might not matter depending on what you are going to use the field for.
Even if you used a bottom plow buried weed seeds would grow so it takes a couple of tilling passes over time to eliminate the weeds before planting.  That is why Round up is so popular.  Kill everything and then just plant.
Ace,
Most of the soil did turn over. Hopefully some of the Bahia grass will come back in the spring.
I checked into using Round Up. Need to wait until spring to us it and that is when the bees will bee active
I wil try to get a picture.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Hopefully some of the Bahia grass will come back in the spring.
If only.  The plants we prefer get taken over by the ones we don't unless we do something about it.  A lot of neighbors lay bahia turf over their weed patch which looks fantastic for a couple of years until the weeds grow up through the turf.  Here again to be successful for the long term you must strip the land of all living things before laying the turf down.  And it doesn't end there.  You also must install thousands of dollars for irrigation and keep up the chemical fertilizers to have a pristine lawn.
The best approach for beekeepers is to do nothing.  Nature will provide weeds for the bees and the bees will propagate the weeds to their benefit.  Here in southern FL the lawns are covered with Florida snow and the bees are all over it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Cut some more firewood

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
30 have your tired the special made drill type bit that splits wood?

Phillip

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
I?ve seen them from cordless drill size, to ones that go on a truck axle with the rear end jacked up. Never tried one.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Beautiful day today, In the 80s. Mixed syrup this morning, tended bees till it rained me out.