Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: UK Assault Knives?  (Read 8646 times)

salvo

UK Assault Knives?
« on: April 23, 2023, 07:19:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

We, in the USA, place restrictions on blades.

UK has been restricting knife carry for years. They did not stop with guns. They've limited blade length for edc, tried to *blunt* all knives, even kitchen knives. But now...

Lots of hacking deaths in UK (and notice they're growing here in the USA). This is likely due to the proficiency which some segments of their society has with simple, primitive bladed tools.

I, personally, like knives and sharps. A gun with no bullets is called a rock. Blades do fill a niche, but it's up close and personal at some point.

I understand even Australia is *iffy* with blades.

Show me your papers!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ministers-urged-introduce-gun-style-140357812.html

Sal

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: UK Assault Knives?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 09:04:03 pm »
once again the tool is the focus rather than the criminal and causes.  My sister went to buy a new set of kitchen knives and because of what was in the set, she had to show ID and sign for them. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

salvo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 08:57:39 am »
Hi Folks,

Sal

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 12:57:57 pm »
Wow Sal, I missed your last post above.. Sorry to hear our British friends are sitting ducks!!!

PS
(after I clicked onto the meme which is asking for a call to help,  the meme was enlarged and wording was made clear..)
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 01:42:08 pm »
That's not a meme.  That's an organization from WW2 that collected firearms and sent them to England during the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Committee_for_the_Defense_of_British_Homes
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 02:30:38 pm »
That's not a meme.  That's an organization from WW2 that collected firearms and sent them to England during the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Committee_for_the_Defense_of_British_Homes

Thanks for pointing this out Kathy.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 06:13:08 am »
Leatherman has a model with no knife on it for places like the UK where you can't have a knife.  A knife is only the most useful tool every invented and we fought our way all the way to the top of the food chain so we could be deprived of it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

salvo

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 08:55:25 am »
Hi Folks,

We need *a tooth*. Smile for a few minutes. Sorry for any ads.

https://youtu.be/WlLzTRGFyKU?t=2313

Sal

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 09:12:30 am »
Just a heads up, there are over 3 minutes of advertisements that you cannot bypass before the Mobley video starts.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 09:30:35 am »
It shows the part Sal wanted introduced automatically starting at 38:33. For some reason, it skipped the advertisements for me. Sal, how did you set this up to start at 38:33? The knife scene

PS I hate to say it but the clip did not bring a smile. lol. 
It did remind me of the big knife that Johnny Weissmuller use to tote around the jungle which helped save his life many times.
:cheesy: 
As a matter of fact even Jane and Boy had one as well. Come to think of it, even the Brits, Nazis or others who came to visit or pillege had rifles, while the native people had spears.  Somehow Tarzan survived all threats to himself and his family with just his knife, vines, swimming ability,  and animal friends for help!!! I can't remember if he had his knife on his trip to NY?
Anyway, always a happy ending to the story.. lol
:shocked:  :grin:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 11:45:02 am by Ben Framed »

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 11:06:23 am »
Leatherman has a model with no knife on it for places like the UK where you can't have a knife.  A
Sorry Mr Bush you are incorrect here, you can legally buy any sort of knife you like in the UK, you don't even need a license you just need to be over 18 years of age. It's part of the reason why Knife crime has increased.  However, It is illegal carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long.....as long as you have reason it's fine to carry any sized appropriate knife. Like when out fishing for gutting fish, out hunting for gutting, skining kill, but you shouldn't carry it to your local supermarket whilst grocery shopping....
There are restrictions about advertising them and restrictions on internet sales, but walk into any UK sporting goods shop and you will find every type of kife you like for sale from Bowie knives to Swiss army knives.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 11:24:57 am »
Nigel, It's good to know you can still buy a knife for protection in England. On the other hand I am sorry to hear about the rise in knife crime in your country and the need for self protection.  When did your country begin noticing a noticeable increase in knife crime?

The legal 'pocket knife' blade lengths differ here in America according to each individual States' Law.

https://edc.ninja/gear/knives/pocket-knife-rules-laws-in-the-us/

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 12:56:10 pm »
LOL, no-one in the UK buys a knife for protection :grin:
Knife crime has risen in the inner cities where it's jungle warfare in places. Reason for knife crime increase is illegal guns are much harder to get hold of.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 01:13:11 pm »
LOL, no-one in the UK buys a knife for protection

No point if you can't carry it   :cheesy:

My sister went to buy bigger kitchen knives and had to sign for them.  I am not sure why but that was the rule when she got them.  Do you have a knife registry?

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 02:26:33 pm »
Nope.....
Nothing like that exists, unlike firearms whiuch are highly regulated. It's what accounts for low gun grime, not non existent, but very low.

salvo

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 02:11:32 am »
Hi Folks, Ben,

Listen. I'm no Tekie. I have a rotary dial flip phone (nyuk, nyuk).

At any point in a video, put your pointer in the "picture" and right click your mouse.

A dialogue box pops up with several choices, including, "Copy Video URL" and "Copy Video URL at the Current Time".

Click on that "...current time" choice. Then, move to your BM post, and "paste" it in the body of your reply.

I've noticed that sometimes, while reading the post and clicking the link, I go right to the chosen spot with no ads, but sometimes there are ads that I "SKIP", and it then goes to the chosen spot.

I hope this helps. I hate ads. I hate making people put up with ads.

Oh. I "smile" when old memories come around, like that Beverly Hillbilly's post.

Sal

salvo

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 02:48:35 am »
Guys with knives

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2023, 03:41:41 am »
Mostly before the war, as far as we were concerned :wink:

American Committee for the Defense of British Homes ...Big surprise here, the Wikipedia article cited has a "gun culture" section that is almost entirely reliant on one British historian who dismisses the American perspective as NRA propaganda. It most definitely was not. You might call it well-meaning, stupid, or a variety of other things, but it was a genuine difference of perspective. I could just as easily call his perspective propaganda, but there's no need for that especially since I'm a fan of "Dad's Army" and "'Allo 'Allo" and  other British perspectives on history ... Blackadder and Monty Python are probably my faves, though. :cool:
then again, I'm pretty sure I'd trade those for a round with the wet celery and flying helmet.  :cheesy:

Americans donated and loaned guns through the group with the idea that they would go to the British citizenry to defend their homes and land. To an American, it was common sense that the populace should be armed and they believed the British government would see that after Dunkirk and facing possible invasion. Also, a gift from citizen to citizen would completely circumvent the Neutrality Acts preventing military aid to Britain(and other countries). Americans were in part, hoping to reawaken the idea of the unorganized militia in the Brits.

However, the donated guns were always destined for home guard units which were attached to the army. Arming the populace was only briefly considered (and probably never seriously) by the British government because they were afraid of guns being used by criminals and didn't think they would be effective against invasion in the hands of civilians. Since the home guard units were attached to the army, the way the British used them caused the US to be in violation of it's own law. Since the US govt was aware of all of this, it allowing the transaction to take place was a case of politicians subverting the rule of law within the US and an act of war against the Krauts (not that I care, except that Americans were effectively swindled by both the US and British govt. so that the US could commit an act of war; and Americans weren't so keen about getting mixed up in what was European business at the time ... kinda the whole reason for the Neutrality acts to begin with.)
Once we were at war, we sent them WAY more stuff legally through lend-lease and other ways.

I actually have one of the pistols that went through this program but do not know if it was a returned one or one sold back to the American public. It is a civilian version of an early S&W revolver and has the correct markings, but no provenance. I ran across it being sold as a basic protection gun and snapped it up for a WWII collection when I saw the marks.

At any rate, the program didn't have a real effect on the war effort, and no effect at all on British gun rights.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 04:05:53 am by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 08:00:16 am »
Hi Folks, Ben,

Listen. I'm no Tekie. I have a rotary dial flip phone (nyuk, nyuk).

At any point in a video, put your pointer in the "picture" and right click your mouse.

A dialogue box pops up with several choices, including, "Copy Video URL" and "Copy Video URL at the Current Time".

Click on that "...current time" choice. Then, move to your BM post, and "paste" it in the body of your reply.

I've noticed that sometimes, while reading the post and clicking the link, I go right to the chosen spot with no ads, but sometimes there are ads that I "SKIP", and it then goes to the chosen spot.

I hope this helps. I hate ads. I hate making people put up with ads.

Sal

Thanks Sal..

Salvo
"Oh. I "smile" when old memories come around, like that Beverly Hillbilly's post."

I do too Sal.. that was a great, well thought out show, along with the right actors and actresses for their individual parts..  :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2023, 08:13:13 am »
Guys with knives

:photo attachment not shown:

Pocket knives are probably one the the most useful tools a person could have? The Old Timer posted in your picture is a classic, my Daddy had one just like it..

The Leatherman mentioned by Mr Bush is also a good handy choice of tool/pocket knife in my opinion, with the basic model featuring added needle nose pliers, file, a leather punch etc..

« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 08:39:55 am by Ben Framed »