Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CheckMite plus for Small Hive Beetles  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Cyberman

• Brood
CheckMite plus for Small Hive Beetles
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:38:29 pm »
Can Checkmite plus kill honeybees? I had a terrible SHB problem. I put a few strips in each of 2 supers, upper and lower, 8 frame deeps. I have noticed a couple dozen dead bees in the front of the hive (on the ramp) a couple of days later. They were all small bees, like nurse bees. It might be just coincidence and house cleaning from the winter. That's why I thought I'd ask here.
Thank you in advance for any ideas, advice.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: CheckMite plus for Small Hive Beetles
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 03:27:35 pm »

Can Checkmite plus kill honeybees? I had a terrible SHB problem. I put a few strips in each of 2 supers, upper and lower, 8 frame deeps. I have noticed a couple dozen dead bees in the front of the hive (on the ramp) a couple of days later. They were all small bees, like nurse bees. It might be just coincidence and house cleaning from the winter. That's why I thought I'd ask here.
Thank you in advance for any ideas, advice.

Cyberman 'WELCOME' to beemaster!!

I have not used Checkmite or Checkmite Plus. I have read concerns by some of wax contamination with some products, I am not sure if this product is one of those.
I am surprised that you would have a terrible SHB problem this time of year, even in your area. Some overwintered SHB in the hives perhaps. Have you noticed SHB larva as well?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:32:26 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, Cyberman!  :happy:  I've never personally used Checkmite either, but a couple dozen bees doesn't sound too bad, especially considering spring cleaning this time of year.  Exactly how many strips did you put in each box?  An overdose of course would be more prone to affecting the bees negatively, although most mite treatments will usually take a few bees with them even when dosed properly. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 09:11:10 pm »
Cyberman following is three topics which have mentioned checkmite. You might find some interesting information in these by entering them individually into your search engine above. Especially the first one.. I would suggest listening closely to what Michael Bush has to say...

Phillip

"Hopguard (3) is not an effective mite treatment"
"checkmite +"
"Mite Question for van from Arkansas"
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 04:08:38 am »
Cyberman,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Check out the BeeFest link below. It starts this coming Friday.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 07:35:19 am »
   The active ingredient in checkmite.. Is  Cumophous. This ingredient will get stuck in beeswax... I knowing about 2010.. The USDA...  In Bellsville Maryland..USA Was steadying effects on honeybees... It actually killed sperm inside Live Drone bees.
  As well as killed sperm inside of live  Queen bees... Making them less infertility . Too completely infertile.
So the short answer is ..It will not kill your bees directly.....Of course it will contaminate the comds.. Which will keep on giving...

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:20:29 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 08:09:49 am »
Welcome Cyberman. Cumophous does contaminate the wax, but doesn't kill healthy bees unless overdosed. Mites developed a tolerance to it. There is a human health aspect and one should avoid contact with the strips and keep them away from your face and wash gloves afterwards or throw away. Its still used on livestock as an external pest killer. If it was as deadly as some say, we would have had a lot of dead beekeepers and cattlemen. But still to be respected.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 04:28:57 pm »
      rast, If you believe Cumophous is Metabolize in an insect.. The  Shame as a human being.. Most likely you're  Correct..  All the commercial beekeepers have stopped using Cumophous  years
a go..

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 06:19:23 pm »
Rast and Jim 134 your points of 'Checkmite' with the ingredient 'Cumophous' are well made as an eye opener. Thanks to you both. My question; Does 'Checkmite Plus' contain any amount of 'Cumophous'?

Thanks,
Phillip

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 06:40:31 pm »
Rast and Jim 134 your points of 'Checkmite' with the ingredient 'Cumophous' are well made as an eye opener. Thanks to you both. My question; Does 'Checkmite Plus' contain any amount of 'Cumophous'?

Thanks,
Phillip

Google tells me both products. Contain the same active ingredient...

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 06:42:21 pm »
yep, 10% on the label.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 07:07:31 pm »

Thanks,
Phillip

Jim 134
Google tells me both products. Contain the same active ingredient...
rast
yep, 10% on the label.

Thanks again to you both as well as The15thMember, who participated in posting here on this subject. Perhaps this will be a help, not only to Cyberman, but any of the rest of us who might not have been informed about thoughts of this product or its ingredient Cumophous. (Including myself). Any other views, pro or con, are welcome as always....

Phillip

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 12:22:10 am »
       Just remember checkmite only has... To put on the label the active ingredient..  Which is Cumophous only 10%... Who knows what the other 90% is ??  Now let's say you put in a chemical for EFB European  Foul brood ..  By law the  Manufacture only have to give you the active ingredient in the product you use.. With perhaps Another 85 to 90% ..Does not have to be declared... Now 2 or more undeclared chemicals get together.. Can make a bunch of deadly chemicals for bees and mankind..   A professor called Mary Ann Frasia..  Has done a lot of work on this type of cross contamination.. I believe she's from Pennsylvania agriculture University..

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy