Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First time moving bees to the oranges  (Read 15375 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: First time moving bees to the oranges
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21:48 am »
I put another deep box on most of them with just foundation.
I am not sure how long before i can put more supers on, but it shouldn't be long because more trees are starting to bloom everyday.

I have no idea how much trees give nectar and pollen, but article tells me that enough to give surprice to small hives. But that I know that one box is really too small. I would put another box under the brood area. So they have room to enlarge there. Extra box under brood box do not disturb colonys development.  100% room added over brood area disturbs heat economy of the hive.

"Citrus is a major honey plant in Florida, although the quality and quantity of nectar may vary considerably each year. Orange appears to produce more nectar than other varieties of citrus and the resultant honey is distinctive in flavor and aroma. Citrus may bloom as early as February and as late as April (average bloom date is March 15); under ideal conditions, the bloom may last as long as four weeks. A second bloom may occur in June, but it is not as heavy nor as reliable as the one in the spring."

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 10:35:35 am »
Finsky, I am curious about putting an empty box under the brood nest.  I keep getting the impression over and over that the queen may be reluctant to move down to lay eggs.  She prefers to go up where it is warmer.

I remember in a post you said that the bees will store nectar in the lowest box if it is empty.  This information needs to be clarified.  Greatest of days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 10:45:18 am »
Finsky, I am curious about putting an empty box under the brood nest.  I keep getting the impression over and over that the queen may be reluctant to move down to lay eggs.  She prefers to go up where it is warmer.

So it is said. And if you put a box over small colony, warm air will rise up to empty box. Brood in lower box will be partly destroyed.

I have used tens of years method that I give extra room under the brood area. In nature bees enlarge combs downwards. There is no strange to bees in that figure. Still bees put honey up and brood in the middle and down of combs.

The worst thing is to keep too few room for bees in spring when they forage.

Forecast http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Miami.html

Even if days are good, nights are cold for bees.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
Finsky, listening, learning, forming opinions.  Makes sense that too much room above can cool brood below.  Box below brood makes sense, does not interrupt the heat cycle.

I could not access the weather site, I think it is geared to U.S. only.

Our temperature this morning from our Maple Ridge site was +7 celsius (44 F).  Becoming very nice.  Yesterday's temperature outside at my home was about +12 C (53 F).  The rains are here, light rains, keeps our area green and away from the cold temperatures of freezing.  Greatest of days.  Cindi

I see many perennials poking their first new shoots out of the soil, spring has arrived.  Buds on trees are swelling.

The chives are about 1 inch high now, soon we can enjoy the sweet taste of the chive onions once again.

Off to make the kids toasted English muffins with cheese and bacon, think I'll have some too!!!  Got your mouth watering?  Sorry about that....
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:51 pm »

When I have heated hives with electrict bees have advantage up tp +17C and then I can se that they have start to make extra ventilation.

In Canada recommendation they say too that make first enlargement under brood area. But I know that beekeepers do not change their mind. They go their path like old horses.

Cindy. I hope that you have so hot next summer so hot that you cannot step out during a week. Remember me then when we have +17C on summer days!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:37 pm »
When I have heated hives with electrict bees have advantage up tp +17C and then I can se that they have start to make extra ventilation.
In Canada recommendation they say too that make first enlargement under brood area. But I know that beekeepers do not change their mind. They go their path like old horses.
Cindy. I hope that you have so hot next summer so hot that you cannot step out during a week. Remember me then when we have +17C on summer days!

Finsky, so what you seem to be saying to me is that, under the +17C they may be quite comfortably warm.  Above +17C, then they become so warm that they need that extra ventilation.  Correct?  Wrong?

You must clarify what you are saying with this sentence.  "In Canada recommendation they say too that make first enlargement under brood area"  I don't understand, and it is important that I do understand.  Please clarify.

Our summers where I live will NEVER get so hot that I cannot go outside.  Unless global warming has some extremely hot effects.  We are temperate.  Not much over +25C-+27C, if it goes higher, we are then very hot.  It has reached +30C now and then and I will tell you that all I do is sit under the beech tree by the pool with a beer, or some iced tea, depending on the mood.  But we can generally still function quite nicely in our warm summers with regard to working outside.

Finsky, are you saying that your country in summertime never goes above say +17C?  That is an OK temperature, but still rather on the coolish side.  Do you like that temperature.  I would imagine you have resided in Finland your entire life.  Why not move to a warmer place, along with your bees.  I am sure that your wife would not mind the warmer temperatures too.  Awesome day, and best regards.  Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 02:16:03 am »

Finsky, so what you seem to be saying to me is that, under the +17C they may be quite comfortably warm.  Above +17C, then they become so warm that they need that extra ventilation.  Correct?  Wrong?

You must clarify what you are saying with this sentence.  "In Canada recommendation they say too that make first enlargement under brood area"  I don't understand, and it is important that I do understand.  Please clarify.

Under 17C electrict heating is usefull

Our summers where I live will NEVER get so hot that I cannot go outside.  Unless global warming has some extremely hot effects.  We are temperate.  Not much over +25C-+27C, if it goes higher, we are then very hot.  It has reached +30C now and then and I will tell you that all I do is sit under the beech tree by the pool with a beer, or some iced tea, depending on the mood.  But we can generally still function quite nicely in our warm summers with regard to working outside.

I just gived back to you when you have so nice weather now.

Finsky, are you saying that your country in summertime never goes above say +17C? 

No

Why not move to a warmer place, along with your bees. 

Whe can I get 160 lbs honey per hive? And here most of year bees are in winter cluster. It seems that in warm climate bees are starving all the time and you must feed them with candy, dry sugar an syrup year around.  And you calculate mites on weekly base. I calculate never. I just kill them. Beekeeping  in south is very difficult.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 09:42:46 am »
Oh brother.  I have a hard time understanding you sometimes.  That is OK, it makes me read your posts over and over, and then finally understand.  That's OK, good for information retention.

I consider +25C the perfect summertime temperature and I love that degree, I can't wait for summer.  Awesome day.  Cindi

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:50 pm »
I am going back down on wed. with another load and will check things out then. I will also carry extra boxes to put on if needed.

I wasn't sure how often you'd get to visit the site..  looks like you'll be on top of things.  Must be great seeing the bees go to work..  all the trees in bloom..  I'd have to sit and enjoy it for at least an evening.  Best wishes for a good season. 

Our late starting winter isn't leaving any time soon.  Snowed all day Tues.. Tues night until Wed morning we got 5 1/2 inches of hail turning freezing rain..  the single digit temps. swept back in w/ 50MPH winds & w/ -3 to -10 windchill factors. 

anything