Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey B Healthy Concentrate  (Read 43138 times)

Offline Sebashtion H.

• New Bee
Re: Honey B Healthy Concentrate
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:47 am »
Hi All,

I have been playing mad scientist in my kitchen, much to the chagrin of my wife who reminds me that she just mopped the floors.

While the Honey B Healthy recipe is available even here.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19276.msg145059.html#msg145059
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6296.0.html
and in a bunch of other places on this forum. Let's face it. This recipe is for stuff you can put in a feeder and give to the bees. It is not the recipe for the concentrate. Which is what you buy from the bee suppliers.

So this is a recipe for the concentrate.

So after going and making a nice smelling kitchen and house. And about 14 batches I think I have what I want. Please note this is pretty raw experimentation stage.

Let's look at the ingredients.

Lecithin Granules. Available at most health food stores. I got mine at The Vitamin Shop. Big jar cost me about $15 as I recall.
Spearmint Oil. Ebay was my friend here. 8oz/.25L cost $17.00 which is a bit high but it was a decent sized bottle.
Lemongrass Oil. I bought a 16oz/.5L bottle for around $18.00 about a year ago.
Sucrose, Table sugar. 5lb/2.2KG
Water. Got it from the sink your price may vary.

Now in the normal recipe you are doing the sugar water mix 1:1 and then added a small amount of lecithin and a few drops of lemongrass and spearmint oils. It is a very good recipe and you certainly should use it.

Of course the old adage is oil and water don't mix. However that is what the lecithin is for. Let's do this:
1 cup water (approximately 8 fluid oz/.25 L) heated to just about boiling, but not quite. 190F / 88C.
1 cup sugar
Place in blender and blend at low speed until sugar is dissolved in water. Should take a few seconds not more.
Remember next time to place the lid on the blender. (This step if missed can cause an unhappy spouse).
Add 6 heaping tablespoons of lecithin granules.
Turn the blender on at a low speed cycle for just a few seconds. I know not everything dissolved but don't worry we will get back to it.
Add 1/4 teaspoon spearmint oil
Add 1/4 teaspoon lemongrass oil

Turn blender on at low speed for a minute ( it doesn't have to be exact ).

If you have done everything right you should notice the lemongrass oil slightly. You should have a pale looking orange juice (think pale yellow). Put some on your finger and rub your fingers together it should have a slightly viscous (thick) feel to it. That will get better as it cools down. So if you do it when it's warm it may not feel as viscous.

Now take this and store in a bottle or whatever will hold approximately 16oz of fluid.

Do not feed this directly to your bees.

When you are ready you make your sugar water mix and add a little of the concentrate to the sugar water. If I recall the amount is 1 teaspoon to 1 quart.

Please note the real Honey B Healthy has sodium lauryl sulfate it is a surfactant. Also know as a wetting agent. If you really want a wetting agent you can add a small amount of Yucca Juice. 

Please feel free to make any corrections or suggestions. If you know of another emulsifier besides lecithin that is cool too.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

so did the go from experiment to actuall recipie you use afre 7 years? or did you change it more

Offline vlunceford

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10:02 pm »
I used GMO-free sunflower lecithin and got a darker colored concentrate. Also, essential oils tend to permeate plastics. Unless you have a blender set aside just to use with essential oils, you should not use essential oils in your blender. I measured the oils into a pint jar, added the sugar water and lecithin mixture to the oils in the jar, screwed on a lid, and shook vigorously for about a minute. You?ll want to shake the mixture a little before each use as well.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 05:22:07 am »
The recipe I posted earlier is what I add to my syrup.
When feeding hive be extra careful not to spill it around the hive.
It will attract bees and can cause a robbing situation.
The Tea Tree Oil is suppose to be a natural way to control Nosema.
To give an example on how strong an attractant it is.
I made up a batch and decided to go feed my bees.
When I came back in the house there were about 4-500 bees inside the house.
What I found was a window frame I had drilled two 3/8 inch holes for water drainage.
The bees got that scent and here they came.
They was a cluster on the sill about the size of a football of bees trying to get in the house.
I put some cotton balls in the holes and spent another 45 minutes catch bees and releasing them outside.

Hi Richard, I always like reading your post, it seems I always learn something interesting.  I wonder if you were to douse a cotton ball with this and put it in a small screen trap, so no bees or ants could get to it, would it make a good swarm trap  bait in the early spring?  Thanks

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 09:49:42 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2022, 09:21:28 pm »
This is another interesting older topic I have ran across and now a question. Has anyone heard of a scientific study which used the ingredients as some have listed above? Has more information been gathered scientifically, which may aid in supporting or not supporting this type mixture to help enhance protection from nosema, especially the newer nosema version? I used a similar mixture as Cap my first winter. The mixture was recommended to me by two well known beekeepers which are breeders. I can happily report I had no problems. Whether the mixture helped or not I do not really know. But one thing I believe is certain, it did not hurt. Those bees prospered.....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:12 am »
Lemongrass oil was shown to help prevent Nosema apis in a study they did in Australia.  In fact, I think it was as much or more effective than Fumidil (which is illegal in Australia and most of the world).  I doubt it would make much difference with Nosema cerana because it is more of a systemic infection rather than an intestinal one.
 Lemongrass oil also contains all of the important constituents of Nasonov pheromone.  But any essential oil will mess with the microbes in the bees and in the colony.  The other issue is that anything that adds odor to syrup sets off robbing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin