Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can I transport hives in a box trailer  (Read 4865 times)

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
Can I transport hives in a box trailer
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:13:14 am »
Another noob question, be gentle. Wondering if its possible to transport bees in the back of a towed box trailer from time to time? I ask as the the immediate response from a friend was no, it knocks them around too much. Thanks for any opinions?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Can I transport hives in a box trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:43:55 pm »
Advice here on moving bees.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm

The main thing is that bees know their way back to the old location if they are within 1 1/2 miles and some will find their way back at 2 miles.  So if you are going to go more than 100 yards, you probably should go 3 miles...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:11:44 pm »
Here's a follow-up question: Do the frames need to be "held in place" during a move to prevent them banging around inside a hive?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:37:00 pm »
>Here's a follow-up question: Do the frames need to be "held in place" during a move to prevent them banging around inside a hive?

Usually they are glued in pretty well, but it might help.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 09:51:42 am »
If it is that rough a ride you might lose comb and bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 04:07:53 pm »
If it is that rough a ride you might lose comb and bees.

Good question cool. Ace is right. I moved just one hive for a specific reason. It was a hot day. Though most of my frames were reinforced with fishing line, some were not as per the foundation-less method. Unfortunately some of the combs broke free from the frames. I did lose some comb as well as some bees. Lesson learned.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 10:09:16 am »
I hope the lessen you learned is not to move bees when it is hot.  Even if you didn't break comb you can suffocate them because they tend to panic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 11:02:41 am »
I hope the lessen you learned is not to move bees when it is hot.  Even if you didn't break comb you can suffocate them because they tend to panic.

Thanks Brian. I will remember the second part also for the future. ' Even if you didn't break comb you can suffocate them because they tend to panic.''
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 09:40:24 am »
>If it is that rough a ride you might lose comb and bees.

Yes, and as you also said, heat matters.  Rough roads, heat and new heavy comb don't transport very well.  I've even had DuraComb (similar to DuraGilt) which has a plastic core, collapse when moving if it was new comb on a hot day on a rough road...
-------------------

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 12:32:17 am »
If you have access to a double axle trailer; that will give them the best ride.  Single axle is a bit traumatic!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 07:21:03 am »
Hi mate i was watching a guy you might have seen the aussie bush bee man ,in one of his latest you tube videos he picked up some bees he had at lenswood here in south australia pollinating the apple trees .Now at one stage in his video he said he could not stop on his way home with a trailer load of bees not sure f he meant overnight or just for a quick feed might pay to ring pirsa or whoever is in charge in your home state to find out the regs he didnt have any special tiedowns or contraptions when he transported his so as long as they are secured i cant see a problem .

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 09:06:48 am »
If you have access to a double axle trailer; that will give them the best ride.  Single axle is a bit traumatic!
Weight the trailer down to its max loading capability no matter how many axles.  This will give the smoothest ride.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 12:04:08 am »
I have moved 18 hives on my single axel trailer for years.
The only problem I have ever had was when I crossed a set of railroad tracks and the 2 back hives were hanging off the back of the trailer. Someone pointed it out about 20 miles later and when I pulled off the highway one of them fell. I put the hive together and back on the trailer, skid marks and all. I still have that same hive still 2 years later. None of the other hives had any comb problems.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:34:31 am »
I have a heavy duty single axle trailer and use it all the time to shift my hives, never had a problem. The only time you would have problems with frames is if you have recently been into the hive. I might add that most of my sights do not require me to drive over any heavy corrugated roads.
Some of the smaller box trailers can bounce a bit if the hives are very light. Kevin

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 09:28:13 am »
Awesome trick
I never screen hives for moving.
This is what sets off panic imho.
So what to do when you land and they are all out walking and clumping.........
As soon as you start loading and all when you land have garden waterer and lots of water.
Drizzle water on front of hive to emulate rain ( sometimes A LOT)
This sends em back in pronto.

Got this from Israel beekeepers.
1 guy sits on back of truck watering hives
Yes helps with heat but was for keeping em in the box mostly.
Red light baby do it at nite.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

anything