Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Replies and views  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Replies and views
« on: December 05, 2022, 01:51:15 am »
It is interesting to look at the topic "How many hives to make a living"
Only 31 replies but 28,000 plus views, alot of interested people but few comments.

It is a good way to make a living in our area of Oz, well most years, this year is extremely tough, poor weather and poor honey flow.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Replies and views
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 09:07:10 am »
It is a natural for supplemental income during retirement.  It is not until you dive into the details that you find it is no different then any other farming endeavor.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 09:32:46 am »
It is interesting to look at the topic "How many hives to make a living"
Only 31 replies but 28,000 plus views, alot of interested people but few comments.

It is a good way to make a living in our area of Oz, well most years, this year is extremely tough, poor weather and poor honey flow.

Yes their has been many views since the topic "How many hives to make a living" was first posted almost ten years ago...
As your shared in your experiences of making a living with bees, there is more than just honey sales involved, the sale of bees, pollination, soap, lip balm, candles, and other bee products...

Some good comments shared on that topic  in my opinion....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 02:20:23 pm »
Hi Acebird
IMO, the difference between migratory BK'ing and farming is that you don't have the capital outlay on land. To me that is what makes bees more profitable.
Also, return per hive is better than livestock, most of the time a hive will pay for itself in one year.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 08:13:49 am »
Hi Acebird
IMO, the difference between migratory BK'ing and farming is that you don't have the capital outlay on land. To me that is what makes bees more profitable.
Also, return per hive is better than livestock, most of the time a hive will pay for itself in one year.
Most farms were handed down and got smaller by divvying up amongst errs.  As the pieces got bought up by corporations the small farms disappeared.  This same scenario occurs in beekeeping or any other business.  The difference between general farming of animals and beekeeping is that framing is dealing with tame animals and beekeeping is not.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:01:01 am »
You both bring up interesting points of views. A good example of a family operation which farms, keeps bees (on a large scale), and also ranches. Is Ian Steppler from Canada. These three branches of agriculture endeavors seem to work well for he and his family....

Oldbeavo, I particularly appreciate and enjoy reading of your experiences in your Commercial Migratory Beekeeping operation here at Beemaster... Thank you for contributing....

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 05:10:27 pm »
I consider our bees relatively tame, most of my stings are from having bare fingers in the wrong spot.
Having dairy farmed in a previous time, the cows are tame because you cull those who have temperament issues.
For Phillip
One part of migratory BK'ing is finding the next potential flow, we have done about 1200k in the last few days looking for trees. You see a lot of the country.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 04:56:57 pm »
I bet it is beautiful country at that... 😊

Phillip

anything