Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
What to do now?
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:30:39 am »
This is a new hive - spring nuc that has done really well. It has 2 brood boxes, a queen excluder and then 2 honey supers. Yesterday I harvested 6 fully capped frames from the bottom of the 2 supers. The other frames were either uncapped or not fully capped so I left them. I didn't take anything from the top super. After this, I put the top super back,  and then I put the super from which I'd taken the frames on top of it. Basically switched position.

That's when I got confused. At this time of year what should I do with a super with 4 partly filled frames? For the time being, I replaced the missing frames with 6 brand new empty frames but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. I plan to let them settle down after the harvest, then do a mite treatment later this week. Should I leave the two supers there for them to work on? I'll feed them back the partly filled frames but I don't want them to expend energy trying to fill frames now that it's getting cooler. There's still lots of goldenrod out there.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 09:34:51 am »
Put the filled frames in the center and the empty frames to the sides.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:06:07 pm »
In Canada I would have said you shouldn't have taken the honey.  What is done is done.  I think you would be better switching back so the top box is full.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:14:43 pm »
The other box is partially filled. I have left everything for them except 6 capped frames. In October I'll be taking both supers off to feed the frames back to them anyway. Seems to me the brood boxes are quite heavy too. I'll have a look inside there next week when I do the mite treatment.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:34:19 pm »
Jim advise, great.

What about the queen excluder, don?t forget to remove the excluder.

As far as honey goes and your area, Canada, this forum has a beek, The Honey Pump, who also is in Canada and can fill in specific details as to your area and how much honey is needed.

A note for The Honey Pump:  A funny, AUTOCORRECT: HP, as I typed your name above my iPhone XR autocorrect suggested and auto typed The Honey PIMP.  I caught the error and changed from PIMP to PUMP.  I thought you might appreciate the humor and was very glad I caught and changed/corrected to your correct name.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:02 pm »
Quoting Van
'The Honey PIMP.  I caught the error and changed from PIMP to PUMP. ''

We really have to watch the spell correct closely, I usually do not watch it close enough.
smile:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:07:42 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.