Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Last Queen Cell Splits of the Season  (Read 971 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Last Queen Cell Splits of the Season
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:35:15 pm »
I am experimenting. Today I made my last splits of the season via queen cells. I realize by this being Aug !4, I am cutting it to the core in shortness for time in my area. This should be a good learning experience.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Last Queen Cell Splits of the Season
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:59:24 pm »
If ripe cells Ben, should be OK.  Certainly no later in the season! ... at least not on purpose .
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Last Queen Cell Splits of the Season
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:40:39 am »
Ben,
Do you have a lot of goldenrod around you? If you do that way allow them to stock up enough to make it through the winter. Are you feeding right now or do you have a flow on?
Jim Altmiller

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Last Queen Cell Splits of the Season
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:17:20 pm »
Ben,
Do you have a lot of goldenrod around you? If you do that way allow them to stock up enough to make it through the winter. Are you feeding right now or do you have a flow on?
Jim Altmiller

Sorry it took me so long to respond Jim; I missed this someway.  We do have a lot of goldenrod here, it should start blooming real soon, as a matter, I have already seen the first signs of blooms.  Last year was outstanding for goldenrod here. Yes I am feeding the hives in which I want drones to stay in business. I am also feeding some of the later splits which are on the ball raising new brood. And yes sir, I am hoping to build up the nucs with 5 good frames of mixed food, brood, and bees. The late splits that I did last year with the purchased queens faired well coming out of winter, very strong. I can only hope the same this year with the queens that I have raised here. Thank Jim and HP
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.