Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: USB cameras not working  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
USB cameras not working
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »
Before I took my trip to Alaska all my usb were working. When I came back I plugged in my camera and the computer will not read teh cameras, both still and video. I get a "communication error" on the camera. The video camera error says unknown device. I checked the drivers and all is ok. I uninstalled the programs and reinstalled and still nothing. I deleted all usb hubs and controllers and reinstalled and still nothing.

When I was in Alaska my friend downloaded the photos to his computer and everything was ok.

Any suggestions? If I cant get it to work I cant post the pictures of my vacation  :'(

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: USB cameras not working
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:03 pm »
do you have a card reader?  try pulling the card and see if it reads the card.  that's at least a temp fix.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »
Don't forget too that ANY USB device is a drive in the MY COMPUTER section. This means opening the drive thru my computer SHOULD show the DEVICE. If it doesn't show it there, your driver is not installed right - that is if you CAN see and ACCESS the VIDEO and IMAGE FILES.

I like managing and viewing files through MY COMPUTER and see which drive it is. If you see no video or images, but you can see into every folder of the cameras storage, then there are no files there. Sounds like it may be ALL INTERNAL MEMORY? As Kathy mentioned a card or disk or tape, digital is such a unique media.

DOES the content play on the camera ok?? If its any of the above devices, except internal memory which has to get plucked from the camera.

I HAD THE OPOSITE PROBLEM: when my wife and I got married, it was sort of an elope getaway thing to our favorite city, Madison, Wisc. My camera was a pocket 110 but took great photos, it wasn't a cheap camera. Unknown to me, the mechanism which cause the lens to popout when the flash is raised malfuctions, and NOT ONE SINGLE PHOTO out of 5 rolls came out - not one of my marriage under the state cappitol, read to us by the highest ranking judge in the state - wild city of College Kids, makes us feel young :)

Married was and is fine, but NO MEMORIES to look at. It was then I bought my first digital 1998 a Sony Mavica (images on floppy disks) and things got better from there. I'll never even guess if a image came out good, why look at it when you can take 5 others to be sure - tons of freakin room on a digital memory chip/

Good luck, let us know. Wish I could tell you more, likely you knew that alread, but some people don't.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:58:58 pm »
Ok I took out the sd card and plugged it into the printer. It came up with 196 photos to transfer. I plugged the camera back in and still nothing. I was eading on google and found USB once assigns an IRQ (I believe) and if you unplug that item and plug it in else where the computer wont read it. I have tried plugging the camera in all usb ports and nothing. The camera still works I just cant download the photos. I had my son try to download the photos to his laptop and nothing. Maybe Ill just try wiping the harddrive and start again.

I really think there is a software conflict or a conflict with the IRQ's

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:46:16 pm »
Surely your computer (or you son's) has an SD Card slot? Just create your own folder, transfer images there on a pc. About the USB Ports being assigned, very true. Everyone should the same USB port for any item installed using that USB port.

I Still believe it is a software problem, there is a driver not reading the camera correctly. I doubt it is a camera issue. Why not install the camera software on your son's computer to see if the media is currupt through the camera then - if not, you have a driver issue on your computer.

But I'm lst, you used the SD port on the printer because none of your computers have SD slots? If a printer can see them, I'm sure any computer can, Yeah, I don't know jack, but something wont let the driver speak to the usb ports, especially the one you set it up on.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:32:03 pm »
maybe the usb cable is bad it doesnt happen often but they can go bad

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »
Ok I wiped my hard drive, reinstalled everything, hooked up the camera, hooked up the video camera and guess what.
NOTHING. It is still saying communication error and windows does not recognize the device. I click on the help and it says the drivers are not installed. If the program is installed than where are the drivers? I have a usb all in one printer that is working, IPod is working, but no camera will work. ANy otehr ideas?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »
Can you download the driver(s) from the manufacturer's website?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
I tried that by downloading the newest version but still nothing. It almost seems to me like there is something missing from the cameras it self. Not sure if that is possible. The last time they worked I had not yet gone through airport security.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »
Did you try pulling the cocaine back out of the camera now that you have successfully cleared security? :-D
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »
If it were that simple. Almost done with all the updates then Ill see what else I can try.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »
Ok I have updated all my drivers, updated all software, and updated everything I think I can. I donwloaded driver detective and it showed I have out of date UBS drivers and some other things. I have a Gigabyte motehrboard AM2+ but can not find any new updates for it. Im at a loss.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:42:31 am »
try a new cable they sometimes go bad

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:00 am »
when i run out of ideas on something i just start doing google searches.  good chance that someone else has had the same problem and there will be an answer.  try your google question different ways until you start getting responses that are what you need.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »
Ok I downloaded my photos from the digital camera by taking out the sd card and putting it into the printer to transfer. I tried that with the video camera SD card but no luck. It says the card is not formatted. I can play back the videos on the camera so I know they are there. I tried a different cable for both camera and video and still nothing. I searched google and have not found any asistance yet. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »
My guess would be  a problem with the camera not transfering data,not a problem with the computer.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:59:11 pm »
sorry for the simple question but is the camera turned on when you are trying to transfer?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:44 pm »
yep the camera has to be on the view mode but for laughs Ive tried it at every switch possible.  buzzbee that is what I am also thinking. I also noticed the last set of pictures of my son at the state swim meet were all blurred, maybe another hint in the trouble of things.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 09:11:39 pm »
maybe the card is bad? 

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »
Ok I forgot I had an extra card for my camera and plugged it in. Same thing! Nothing! I found some new firmware for the program, FinePix, and nothing. I downloaded a newer USB driver, nothing. My conclusion is going through the x-ray at the airports was not a good one for the cameras. I think Ill just order a card reader to install in the computer so I dont have to worry about the drivers. I hate technology.