Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive wrap from B&B Honey Farm  (Read 2434 times)

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Hive wrap from B&B Honey Farm
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:18 pm »
Anyone ever use it? I bought 3 for my hives. It is a thick black plastic with a thin layer of foam inside of that. I used velcro to keep it together and push pins around the upper entrances.
"To bee or not to bee"

manowar422

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 12:23:06 am »
Looks trim and clean.
Have you installed your mouse guards yet?

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:08:17 pm »
I used that a couple of years ago, but after the winter (It was around -20F that year) the foam started to peel away from the plastic, and crumble. But, I don't know about your climate or if they installed different foam and so on.

Have you installed your mouse guards yet?

Your going to have to, that foam on the outside makes real nice mousie beds =\

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Hive wrap from B&B Honey Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 10:26:01 pm »
Quote from: newbee101
Anyone ever use it? I bought 3 for my hives. It is a thick black plastic with a thin layer of foam inside of that. I used velcro to keep it together and push pins around the upper entrances.
]

Sorry but, the cover should be respirative. Plastic keeps moisture inside and you boxes will be rotten soon. Paint loosens first.

Hive is moist and warm and it exrecets moisture. The movement of moisture stops to the plastic. There should be a gap for air, from where moisture ventilates away.

In Finland we have a lot of houses where owner has installed "outer water cover" or "heat cover". If moisture will not escape from structure, home is soon a mould ball.

I use insulated boxes, but 30 years ago I had mere wood like you.

Here is both wooden in a carry and styryfoam on the ground.
http://bees.freesuperhost.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/Kuva_036.jpg

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 10:55:13 pm »
I wrapped some nucs in foam last year.  It was the first time I've wrapped any hive and the condensation was terrible.  I've never really wrapped a real hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin