Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEEKEEPING FORUMS  (Read 5068 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEEKEEPING FORUMS
« on: February 19, 2005, 01:51:20 pm »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the forums. It was indeed ONE YEAR AGO TODAY that I launched the forums. Snowserdog was the first member, but we haven't seen him since August - but TRAIL TWISTER AL is the longest active member in the forums and we are all very lucky to have Al as a member Moderator and a really great guy!!!!!

I hope everyone enjoyed year one - I can't tell you all enough how much of a blessing it has been to get to know you all and I expect year two to be even more fascinating for us all.

Have a great year two - please keep sharing your stories and wonderful images with us. I'm especially gald we have as many topical sections as we do now, it allows all of us to better know each other BESIDES our interest in beekeeping.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Forums may you live long and prosper :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
happy Birthday
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 02:05:59 pm »
Hey Beemaster thanks for creating this site it has made the world a better place aren't beekeepers great Kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 02:49:48 pm »
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~eivindm/diverse/beebbs/balloons.gif">
Happy birthday!!

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 04:19:13 pm »
This is a great site Bee Master, keep up the good work!!!!!!
Bee Boy

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:27:25 pm »
Congratulations John!! What a feat! I don't know if it turned out anything like you had envisioned when you started, but it worked out really well for the rest of us, and thanks for that! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 11:30:49 pm »
Happy birth day!!!! lol, I love this forum, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 01:10:32 am »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Didn't the forum start on the 20th though? That's when it says that beemaster joined. Anyways, Happy Birthday and many more!!
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 08:43:20 am »
Hurrah!

Thanks for the work (and expense!) you go to so that we can have this place to get togethether and talk and learn.
Lesli

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 10:27:16 am »
congrads on the site John, took off like a Rocket... Good Job :D  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 03:27:49 pm »
Thanks Everyone:

Buzz, I created the forum on the 19th, and JOINED as the first member at 12:30pm on the 20th - but the skeleton of the forum was done one the 19th, so I use that date - BUT today is the BIRTHDAY of the FIRST MEMBER :)

So either way, we are a year old...

About my expectations. Prior to this I had a newsletter which had MANY members, but it was becoming a mailing list only thing and it had no interaction between the members of the list - it was me to them and them to me, but not them to them - hope that makes sense?

What were my expectations, honestly - I had a period from the time I had a substantial mailing list, and the time the forum started. I had lost that list in the refortmatting of my notebook where the entire mailing list was kept, so I had literally started from GROUND ZERO.

What my goals were (which I choose to use over expectations) because goals are self adminstered as where expectations are the results of those goals - was to create an enviroment where ideas on beekeeping could be shared by people from around the Internet - thus the world, where we could communicate on other topics too - in order to better to get to each other.

If I had a expectation, it was to NOT be the center of attention - I never wanted to be an answerman, and in that department I am very pleased at the result. The forum is full of questions and answers, ideas and theories, facts and suggestions and whether I am there or not - it goes on seemlessly, with the help of the Moderators, but mostly because the membership choses to return again and again and be helpful and friendly and more important - everyone enjoys to better get to know each other and assist when ever possible.

Has the forums meet my expectations or goal - indeed it has, many times over and in many ways. The forum initially was more of an accident than a concept - as I've mentioned prior, it was going to be an RV forum which never took off and I luckily said that this phpbb software would be a great way to expand the purpose of the Beekeeping Course by letting people have a HUB to come to and communicate  - and even if other forums of a similar theme exisited, that really didn't matter.

This one was going to be aimed at the youngest members of a family, a site where entire young families of beekeepers could sit down and find others who respected their opinions and wanted to be able to share images, thoughts, and grow as beekeepers and fuction as a larger family unit without fear of the insult of banner ads, foul language and obsene material. Sort of the Chucky Cheese of the Beekeeping Forums - lol.

I think most of that has happened, we sure try hard to keep it that way. It is important to keep this commercial free, which sets us aside from any other forum of its type and with the chat feature and other messaging stuff, we have the ability to communicate EVEN WHEN we are not within the pages of this site.

I'm very pleased with year one, that  is the answer. And never once did the number of members matter, except that I always wanted enough people here to support each other, I never wanted to be the focus of the site - I wanted Beekeeping and the members to be the center of attention. I am very happy just posting and doing my best to offer interesting topical areas for people to post in, and if I never posted here again, the forum should not miss me, because they have each other.

So being just another member was a real goal of mine - I take no pleasure in writing letters of warning if someone pushes the bounds of our simple bilaws - and I think when we lose members because of personal head-butting "between them and other members", that we are lessened by their loss.

Family is family, brothers and sisters fight - but they make up too. In the forums we need to realize that feuds can happen and it's probably better to let them fight them out - I've learned from what few events where I felt the need to interveen that it is better to stay out of it - and simple tell bothsides to take it to PM.

As we increase some of the security features, we'll have less and less spam-bots making it through our registration. I think I do a pretty good job of deleting them quickly and rarely do I hear where they have pmed anyone with links to nasty sites, etc.. But like junk email, there are no perfect filters, so we always need to keep our eyes open for the inevitable bots and humans who come here just to cause havoc.

Lastly, I look at the growth numbers as of late and they are amazing. More importantly, I see that we have a greater number of frequent posters - that latter statement is terrific, much more important than the first. It's great to have a bunch of members, but it is those who post who drive the forum, the READERS who never post are getting knowledge too, but in order to befriend someone, nothing beats a simple hello and a welcome aboard the forum when they walk through our door :)

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 07:58:53 pm »
420 members----365 days

if im right thats 1.15 members a day, even on weekends  :D  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline latebee

• House Bee
happy birthday
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 09:43:27 pm »
Congratulations!!!
             Although I have been an"on again-off again" member I must tell you that this is the most enjoyable,friendly and informational forum that I have ever had the pleasure of belonging to. No club- politics,profanity or belittlement. Wishing you all-the Administrator,the moderators and the members a very happy birthday with many more returns.

latebee
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 10:38:29 pm »
Thanks Latebee and TWT (and all others of course)

About the mood of forums, I couldn't resist saying that I too have been a member of about a dozen or so, still am a member of 5. The roughest is Howardsterns forum - a real tough crowd there, but you have to expect that in a place that pushes free speech beyond its limits - if such a thing is possible.

I imagine being a moderator there is pretty easy - you just keep an eye out for death threats and undo the BOLD text - lol. But I do belong, not for its shock value, after being around the internet all these tears - nothing much shocks me these days. But because I do agree that Howard might push the limits of WHAT IS ALLOWED, HE DOES NOT EXCEED THEM - meanwhile, I see clear examples of live and recorded broadcasts where the rules are broken and no fines are issued and little or nothing is done. Meanwhile Howard walks on glass - yes he is crude and not what I would call your typical role-model but is a great entertainer and interviewer for adults.

The worse example was a rap song on Saturday Night Live last night describing in great detail all kinds of vulgar lude acts. A half baked censoring missed every foul word and descriptive term the (for lack of a better word) Rap artist spoke. I think the only thing missing with RAP is the LETTER "C" in front of it! And I'll guarentee that NBC will not see the fines that should be imposed for blatant vulgarity and use of SEVERAL words that are not allowed on public airwaves.

People say Howard's show shouldn't be on when kids can listen to it - I say no matter what time it is aired, kids have access. Parental involvement is the real issue. I know it is impossible to watch your kids 24/7 but don't blame Howard Stern or other entertainers when the issue is teaching your kids that his type of media is NOT meant for them. It is a values issue.

Just as I think the ones who SHOULD be going before a jury in the Michael Jackson trial is the PARENTS of the KIDS who let their children sleep with this creep. Innocent or not, Jackson is a strange creature, a product of his fame and upbringing and NOT someone that anyone should let their kids SLEEP in the same bed with.

The Kid should be removed from from the parents who KNOWINGLY let their son stay with Jackson AFTER the first allegations when that set od low-life parents sold old for $20 million or more.

You can't keep blaming society for every failure our children and ourselves endure. At some point in time it is neccessary to take responcibility and put punnishment back in the family structure and good examples back in the family by being role models for our children.

I mentioned briefly in the forum and in great detail in my 2001 Beekeeping Log book of a boy I mentored - he came from a family that was as dysfunctional as any I've ever heard of. For 5 years I helped raise him by having him with my wife and me during all his Summer school vacations. I treated him as a son and always did my best to set a great example.

Today, he is 19 and frankly, someone I no longer wish to know. He has returned to his immediate family, became as they were and as they are and I see nothing left in him that I instilled - he made his own decissions as he reached the age of majority and I know that none were wise and I have made it very clear he is never welcomed in our home again.

So, as an example - even good parenting isn't all it takes. It take good clay to make fine pottery, not a good wheel. What we exposed kids to helps shape them, but there is so much time that they are out of our hands that all the good we give often is lost by the temptations of the easy way out.

But in this forum, we try. That's all of us can do I guess, is try. I'm happy to say I think we have a place that you CAN bring your kids - and I hope you do. Young beekeepers are often products of beekeeping families and I think that getting the kids in here and having a place for them to chat and write would develop many skills.

We have our teen forum, which we still need to work on, but the younger beekeepers I see in photos, sure would be welcomed too. In year two of the forum, we'll stretch out to schools and 4H clubs and I'll be looking for help in reaching the younger members and getting them in a safe haven where we can keep an eye on them and know they are having good and clean fun!

Thanks for letting me speak.... I needed to vent a little tonight, it's been a tough day.