Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there a such thing as a pollen source being too close?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Is there a such thing as a pollen source being too close?
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:45:46 pm »
When I start my hives at the beginning of next year should I expect my bees to gather pollen and nectar from flowers within 20-50 feet away or will they be looking for sources further out?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Is there a such thing as a pollen source being too close?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:25:36 pm »
It depends on what they feel is the most economical decision.  They certainly will forage close by, but if there is a huge blooming crop a few miles down the road, they might prefer that over a small bed of something closer to home.  Bees will commonly forage up to 3 miles away from the hive, and I've heard numbers approaching double that in extreme circumstances.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 01:22:00 pm »
What Member said plus keep in mine that bees mostly visit one type of flower at a time. They do not switch from dandelion to pear to apple to another flower. This means if their are only a few of one type and a lot of another they will for the larger number. When they return and dance, one of the things that they pass on is the quantity. They also select pollen by quality and the proteins that the larvae need. If you have what they need that they cannot get elsewhere then they will use it. If you have the only flowers within normal range, they will use it.
Jim Altmiller 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 03:22:27 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'm in a neighborhood on a half acre lot. Nearly all of our neighbors have lots of flowers, plants and shrubs. We have crepe myrtles, irises, liriope, azaleas, hostas and lots of other stuff I don't know. Our neighbors have similar gardens. I'm just wondering if I should continue to plant more for them or are they going to jump over all of my stuff and hit the neighbors gardens. Thanks again.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 03:43:33 pm »
Yes.
I planted Phacelia under their noses at entrance, and they ignored it for weeks.
I guess there is no waggle dance for "right here".

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:52 pm »
Actually there is a dance that says food is close by go find it, it smells like this. This is what causes robbing when you put honey stickies out close to your hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:58:16 am »
Yes.
I planted Phacelia under their noses at entrance, and they ignored it for weeks.
I guess there is no waggle dance for "right here".
@seanconnery, did they eventually gather from your Phacelia?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:41:53 am »
There is a beekeeper in Canada which he and his family have a large farm, cattle operation, and beehives. Three weeks ago he posted a video of some food plots which he had planted in various locations throughout his farm for the benefit of bees and other insects using various plants, mainly Facelia and Sunflower. He explained this was a great help for late season there. However, I do not think this was as close to his hives as you are asking about. Just food for thought. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 11:42:42 am »
@Charles Wright. As the Phacelia grew tall, the returning bees bumped through the flowers and "discovered" the resource.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 10:13:23 am »
my neighbor has a large patch of some type of allium about 50 ft. from my hive it bloomes with a 2 in, white blossom my bees or others are all over it . i see the bees bringing in white pollen. hope i don't get onion flavored honey.

anything