Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overwintering Wax Moths  (Read 1084 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Overwintering Wax Moths
« on: December 07, 2019, 02:25:28 pm »
One of my hives is showing evidence of wax moth caterpillars on their bottom board insert.  This is a strong hive with plenty of stores.  Our winter has been very mild here so far and the temps are going to be highs in the 50's for the foreseeable future.  Are the waxworms a big enough issue that I should open the hive on a nice day and take out any unoccupied frames, or, since this hive is pretty strong, should I just let it go until spring?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Overwintering Wax Moths
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 03:58:08 pm »
Wax moth will always raise on the insert when the weather allows it. Remove the insert and only have it in when the weather is too cold for moths.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 04:12:10 pm »
ID, question,  would removing a bottom insert allow to much air flow?  I realize your area is much warmer than mine, so this time of year, I?m still thinking cold which is not so applicable to your area.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 05:10:56 pm »
Van, I don't use screen bottoms, but I have read beeks in Michigan using open screens all year. They say heat rises and cold falls. Just keep the wind blocked out. I can't answer further than that.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:50:03 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't really clear enough on what I am seeing.  I don't have wax moth caterpillars themselves on the BB insert, just evidence that they are up in the hive (feces, bits of comb, bits of silk, etc.).  The cluster in this hive is at least partially in the top box (I'm overwintering in 2 mediums), and I suspect that the waxworms are hanging out in the bottom box under/away from the cluster.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 05:55:01 pm »
About all you can do for that is spray all the frames with BT on a warmer day.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:29 pm »
I'll probably just leave it go then.  This hive is strong, so I'm not super concerned about it.  Thanks for the replies everyone. 

anything