Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow Hive: Original vs. (Chinese) copycat  (Read 20084 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Flow Hive: Original vs. (Chinese) copycat
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 06:06:40 pm »
Yes.  Especially when they know they cannot access it through winter.  You also mentioned you have empty frames below the cover for them to put the honey.
You have a raised lip on your feeder hole so you have to shim to that height to prevent the frames from hitting it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 02:50:06 pm »
If the copycat flow frames are reasonably workable,
                         - has anyone had them for several years?  Does the plastic begin to degrade/crumble, or, not cells line up after the lever moves back the cells?
                          - what brand was purchased? There are many sold through amazon and ebay, but the real manufacturer is unclear.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 08:09:52 pm »
Ok, so they may work the same but....
Firstly, Fake Flow frames are an infringement on copyright. Typically Chinese and if it was a patented American invention you?d be up in arms...
Secondly if you think the cheap fakes have been made with expensive food safe plastics you?re kidding yourselves.
Yeah originals are expensive but then again so are extractors.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 08:30:17 pm »
If the copycat flow frames are reasonably workable,
                         - has anyone had them for several years?  Does the plastic begin to degrade/crumble, or, not cells line up after the lever moves back the cells?
                          - what brand was purchased? There are many sold through amazon and ebay, but the real manufacturer is unclear.

How much re-grind was used? A slight yellow tint when new indicates excessive recycled material being used and / or oil contamination. Neither of which helps longevity of polycarbonate.

Might even be more than one manufacturer with widely varying quality levels. Plus molds wear out, even expensive high quality molds. Cheep molds wear much faster. First few thousand parts made might be very good then gradually turn to crap if they keep running it without proper maintenance.

Very interesting thread! Like many here I do not need a Flow Hive. Merely want one :shocked: Hard to justify a $400 toy when a $100 version is available.

Beeduu

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 09:19:59 am »
I have the original Flow Hives (both the version 1 and 2). I have serious of issues with them and I assume the Chinese version will have them too.

1. The woodwork is rubbish. Mine are cedar, the oldest and bought direct from the crowdfunding page 5 years ago. The roof leaks like a sieve, finger joints are poor fit. The bottom board have risers nailed on an angle. For a thousand bucks, the quality is appalling. I had similar issues with version 2, laser cut version.

2.The flow frames leak honey. Mine came with loose wires and it was a mess to tighten them after they've been in use. I tightened them and still sagged and leaked. They bow with the weight of honey. I had at least one major flood and drowned hundreds of bees in honey. Flow say this is a rare event but I bet it is not.

Lifting the plastic flow frames from the super can be tricky. Cleaning the flow frames from wax is next to impossible, can't put them in a wax melter.

Customer service can be helpful, but they can also wash their hands and come up with excuses. They downplay all the problems you mention to them.

They are expensive because they have a lot of manufacturing issues, and they often have to re-send parts that are bad.

If I had to buy again, I buy a Chinese copy with no hesitation. Bees line up the cells with wax so honey is not in direct contact with the plastic, if you doubt they are not food grade. In fact that is an issue in itself when wax builds up and makes them harder to open. I have a couple of frames now getting really hard to operate.

As the infringement of copyright, I couldn't care less. I actually did point out to them one guy selling copies, but they strangely didn't reply. So why should I care?

On the plus side, harvesting is easy, mostly, until you get a laying worker in the flow frames, or a slim queen.

Chances are though that my next hive will be a traditional hive, and neither Flow nor a chinese copy.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 06:05:19 pm »
Beeduu,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Sorry you are having problems with your Flowhive. Sounds like you were able to actually harvest honey from yours. It took 3 years trying for me. And most of the honey was not capped even though it was very thick honey, around 16% water. Mine was given to me because the previous owner could not get the bees to put honey in it. My bees would rather swarm than use it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KellyBeeFriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 10:45:50 am »
Can?t comment about the Chinese version as I am also in your dilemma.

I?ve actually had great experience with the flow hive, much easier than borrowing the local club extractor, and besides I bought into the hype and it was an Aussie invention.

I use plastic foundations and don?t have issues that those who poo poo from natural perspective, but I find it difficult to lift honey supers - hence moved to flow and then finally this year to Az bee hut. (More on that on my welcome)

Anyway the mess and robbing issue solved with Fred Dunn (bees and fowl)idea to use food safe tube (from beer brewing store) from flow tube straight into large mason jar with recap lid Brilliant. Haven?t looked back. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zz73ni2tA4

But I now have more hives and I want each of them to have flow frames, and I?m toying with expense. For now I run a hybrid and have 3 frames in each hive with the rest standard plastic foundation (for the bees). I?ve had reasonable support from flow peeps sending missing piece. The hive bodies although cool and light (arakura?) seemed to absorb moisture like a sponge and became rather mouldy. Switched to nuplas after that and just used the flow supers.

If I had to do it again I?d just buy the frames and customise my own hardware. If I needed more frames it is tempting to go cheep Chinese and compare. But I?m an Aussie so I?d probably end up forking over for the real deal because in my mind it?s just the right thing to do. If the dude was American I know that from my time in Texas how patriotic ya?ll are - you?d have fake newsed the Chinese version so much that they?d have no business credibility.

But in the meantime, I?m putting up with what I have until I win the lottery - as with covid there is bugger all chance of a bonus. So I will be happy with my flow setup and learn economy 🤔
Keep Calm and Keep Bees

Offline pevatru

• Brood
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 09:22:39 am »
 installed Chinese frames but they didn't work. The bees reject them. I will try to wash them and give them a diluted wax bath

Offline Honeyeater

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 04:24:43 am »
Originals have same issue, I had three, one sold, two to go. You have to wax the frames for the bees to accept them.

My experience with original Flow Hives is similar to Beeduu above. Plenty of problems with both the timber hives, and the actual flow frames. They replace readily because you are paying in advance for replacements. They cost several times over the Chinese versions.

One of my supers was replaced twice and when the third was dodgy too I wanted to get on with life and fix myself. I can't stand waste.

I was on their forum and made my frustrations politely known but it was not taken well because I got banned. New guidelines there say problems should only be directed to their email not discussed in public. So if you want to hear one sided stories and how perfect they are... and how honey from Flow hives even taste better than any other hive, head to the Flow forum.

Their customer relations is a bit of a shocker. Anyone looking into buying Flow hives, or copies should have a chat with an experienced beekeeper in person, or a bee group and discuss their long term management, not be blinded with their marketing because it is misleading.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 02:30:37 am »
Flow TM (as seen on MasterChef) HQ been very busy eliminating the intelligentsia and crushing all dissent in the last 48 hours, their totalitarian business methods would make Josef Stalin blush  :wink:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 08:27:45 am »
My bees would rather swarm than use it.
Jim Altmiller
If you are not using the frames I will take them off your hands.  I don't want the box just the frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Honeyeater

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 04:55:07 am »
Flow TM (as seen on MasterChef)

FlowHive - As Seen On MasterChef

I don?t watch cooking shows and that sort of rubbish, but just saw that slogan on their website today. No wonder they attract a certain type of customer these days, increasing the chances of unmanaged beehives in the suburbs infuriating neighbours and actual beekeepers that depend on disease free bees.

After using them for 4 years I have several practical reasons why I now dislike them, but I admit that one of the reasons may not be rational - I have a passionate intolerance for products pushed by hired social-media influencers and celebrities. They will say what they are paid to say, not necessarily what they really think (Dunn, Kearney, chefs) while dressing that up as some honest impartial opinion or review and ignoring all potential downsides. I just cannot trust these products. They make me even more convinced that my concerns about Flow Hives and problems/faults I encountered are even more valid and widespread.

Knowing nothing about beekeeping I was a very enthusiastic supporter when they launched in 2015, and gave them $850 one year in advance, sight unseen. By micro-managing me and censoring my very mild and justified criticism on their platform, and aggressively adopting this dogma to silence anyone that has problems with their product - they managed to turn me from a disappointed customer, to a resentful one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:17:08 am by Honeyeater »