Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45742 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2023, 01:28:19 am »
Skeggley
"Ships not required. :happy:"

Nor needed in that case. ✔️   :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2023, 12:45:54 am »
I hope you can open this:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-20/nsw-beekeepers-welcome-varroa-mite-border-reopening/101875634

It makes me a little nervous...

I had an e-mail from a woman in the red zone.
She has a feral hive in her house...reported it...and nothing has been done.
I suggested that she contact the local Ag Department so that they can take care of this hive. I hope it is varroa free, has not swarmed...

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2023, 09:51:45 pm »
Too soon to open borders?
https://www.change.org/p/imported-honey-must-be-banned-or-labelled-with-country-of-origin-eg-china-argentina/u/31246588

Interesting eye opening article Skeggley. Worth taking note of.. Thanks for posting.

Phillip

This seems to be the most recent update:
https://members.qbabees.org.au/resources/Documents/QBA%20Varroa%20Destructor%20Update%20to%20Members%2010012023.pdf

Thanks for the latest update Max which was dated 10th, January 2023. The source that I have been going to has not been updated since December 19, 2022 NSW Department of Primary Industeries

Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2023, 02:54:50 am »

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2023, 04:19:29 am »
How do they deal (or trace) beekeepers who do not register as a biosecurity entity?
In the UK we are encouraged to register our apiary sites but there is no legal requirement to do so. Hence many beekeepers remain unknown to DEFRA (our environment agency) estimates put this at around a 1/3 rd of all hobbyists.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2023, 04:54:04 am »
Same issue here Nigel. Once movement of hives takes place, any chance of controlling the spread of Varroa is lost. It just takes one mistake, one poor judgement, one sneaky action, one piece of apathy or one act of dishonesty and the game is over. Gee I would love to be wrong, BUT??.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2023, 06:32:17 am »
I'm sure none of the wild bees are registered with biosecurity...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:32 am »
I understand your concerns and in my opinion your concerns are legitimate. I can not speak as an Australian because I am an American and live thousands of miles away, and truthfully to put and bluntly, it is not my business.  But I can speak as a fellow beekeeper and a member of an International Beekeeping Forum where we are fellow members and share information about beekeeping and the Honeybee, (while noting my opinions are my on).

If we look back here on this simple forum topic, which we have been keeping up with the situation pretty closely going by the official reports. There was a period of months where no varroa mites were detected. Then all of sudden though few, 'boom', new detections. As far as we know, the last one was in December, but there again the reports have been few and non consistent with the lack of previous daily updates, as was the case before those new outbreaks. The public was left in the dark so to speak.

Noting these facts, risky is 'one word' that comes to mind. Of course the decision makers are the experts, or they are relying on information from the experts.  I hope they are right on this. I can only scratch my head in wonder as to how they can declare NSW free of Varroa Destructor, so soon after the last disappointing detections just a month ago.
It is further my opinion the length of time needed before making this decision should be no less than the time frame of previous periods of no detections, until the last detections.

You Australians have every right to say shut up and mind your business and if you do I will not take offense as I mean no harm or offense. I simply would like to see you win this battle and know there is a Continent that is truly varroa free, even if my Country will most likely never be varroa free again.. This post is just in my thoughts and opinions from what little we do know. I do not know enough to even 'help' make the decisions the officials are making, even if I lived in your country as was a citizen there, nor do I know enough to even criticize. I can only wonder.   

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2023, 07:12:01 am »
I'm sure none of the wild bees are registered with biosecurity...

Point well taken and I will add, as far as we know the last detections might have came from the transfer of Varroa from wild bees to beekeepers hives?.. After all,  months went by without detections? Your statement stands to reason this possibility could be the case.

Phillip

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:30:58 am by Ben Framed »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2023, 01:00:12 am »
The next phase...and I'm worried.
Hope this will end well..

Dear Max,

As a follow on from our most recent varroa mite update, I am writing to our members to advise of changes to the Queensland border and subsequent movement of livestock (queens and hives).

For members that may have missed our last communication, the NSW DPI made a declaration of freedom from varroa mite in the General Emergency Zone (or blue zone as it is more commonly known to industry). This declaration was agreed to by state jurisdictions. The declaration has now enacted a staged re-opening of borders allowing the movement of hives and queens under a strict permit and compliance system.

If you may have missed this announcement, please click here to read the update from AHBIC.

We are pleased to advise that representatives from DAF will be prioritising permits for our stranded industry colleagues in the first instance. Prioritisation of these beekeepers will enable almost 4,000 stranded hives with a pathway to enter their state of origin. Entry permits will also alleviate significant emotional and operational fatigue, as well as financial burden from our friends who have been in limbo since the detection of the mite in New South Wales.

As we enter the next phase in the response to varroa we remind our members that if you are considering any movements across the Queensland border with New South Wales you will need to comply with permit arrangements and conditions in both NSW and QLD.

Moving bees into Queensland can only be undertaken if you have applied for and received an approved permit from Biosecurity Queensland.

Please find below communication from Biosecurity Queensland in relation to the staged re-opening of Queensland borders under the new permit system.

Varroa mite ? moving hives into Queensland

NSW General Emergency Zone declared free from varroa mite

Beekeepers can now apply for a permit to move European honey bees and other related materials into Queensland from the NSW General Emergency Zone (GEZ) after this zone was declared free of varroa mite (Varroa destructor).

A permit is required for anyone bringing bees, hives, used beekeeping equipment or bee products (including unprocessed honey), into any part of Queensland from any state or territory. All permits will be subject to strict permit conditions and active compliance checks.

Permit applications from Queensland registered beekeepers located in the NSW General Zone (Blue zone) will be prioritised and a dedicated case manager will be assigned to manage the process.

In the coming weeks, owners of non-Queensland registered hives will also be able to apply for a permit to enter.

You can apply online for a biosecurity instrument permit or by calling the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.

Check hives and report results

All beekeepers are encouraged to check their hives and report results to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, using the Bee 123 online form, or by calling 13 25 23.

Report any checks you have made on your hives, even if you do not find any suspect mites. The data gathered from checking hives will help us to understand the health of bee hives in Queensland.

Register as a biosecurity entity

If you own or keep at least one hive, you must register as a biosecurity entity. Registration is free for non-commercial beekeepers.

Registration helps contact owners, keeping you informed if there?s an animal disease emergency. That?s why it?s important to make sure you?re registered if you meet the requirements.

On a final note, since the initiation of the response to the detection of varroa, the QBA have provided consultation to DAF and Biosecurity Queensland on most aspects of the response.

We have advocated for the establishment of strong measures to protect the state from the mite in addition to practical management strategies to support Queensland beekeepers through the most significant threat to modern day Australian beekeeping.

Should you have any questions about this announcement or require support in applying for a permit, please contact me via email (statesecretary@qbabees.org.au).

Kind regards,

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2023, 07:27:18 am »
"The next phase...and I'm worried.
Hope this will end well.."

Understandably so.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2023, 09:38:45 am »
Any Updates Max? Anyone?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2023, 11:34:37 pm »
A bit of not so good news..

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2023, 07:02:11 am »

I'm nor sure I understand the explanation given as to the cause of the two new finds. What would be gained by a beekeeper to move their infested hives 'into' an eradication zone? And if they were moved 'into' an eradication zone, where did they move these 'infested hives' from? Wouldn't that be an important question needing answers?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 07:54:29 am by Ben Framed »

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2023, 03:25:20 pm »
Hi Phillip,

Looks like someone has illegally moved some hives from a red area to another area. This is another reason why the spread of varroa is going to be difficult to stop. Either an honest mistake or a deliberate action to save hives from destruction are the only two reasons I can think of. The consequences of this action could be devastating for both the country and the beekeeper involved. This is another sad day.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2023, 03:34:15 am »
Hi Phillip,

Looks like someone has illegally moved some hives from a red area to another area. This is another reason why the spread of varroa is going to be difficult to stop. Either an honest mistake or a deliberate action to save hives from destruction are the only two reasons I can think of. The consequences of this action could be devastating for both the country and the beekeeper involved. This is another sad day.

Thanks Les, I agree this is sad. The last report that I found on the official website has not been updated, (at this time).. February 19 was the last updated report.

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2023, 09:40:40 am »
Thanks Max. Hopefully no news since the Week ending 23rd February is good news.

Phillip

anything