Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Processing my own soil for gardens  (Read 9871 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Processing my own soil for gardens
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:03 pm »
My home site is on top of a hill.  The top soil was scraped off for construction and all that remains is clay and rock. 
I didn't bother to try and plant the soil, I built several raised beds last winter as our garden.
I ordered up a delivery of garden soil for my beds last year and was disappointed in the quality.  I was thinking I could some how dig up some of the good soil from other places on site.  Problem is the good soil is thin and covered in plant material. 
How would I kill off the vegetation from the soil to keep weeds out of the garden after I dig it up?
This raised bed would be 12x6x3. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Processing my own soil for gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:32:47 am »
I've read that one concern you should have when improving clay soil is with beds. It seems if you dig the clay out and replace it with compost what you could end up with is an area that's too wet for roots.

In my garden I have an area that has a lot of red clay. Over the last few years I've dumped leaves, goat poop, ect on it. I worked it in and the color went from red to a blackish red.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:29:46 pm »
if you for a pine grove that has lots of needles down. rake off the needles and scrape the first 2 inches off then cover back with the needles. when you add this to your fall garden bed add some lime t to kil off the weeds. my parents had us do this every year  and added leaves. we did this for 6 200 foot green houses. you put a seed in it and be picking in 2-3 weeks. don't dig holes in cla
Code: [Select]
y your making a pond. build wall on down hill side dug into ground about foot and build up behind it. this way you have the clay added to mix for drinage. the over flow will run thought the wall.

john.                                                 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:56:42 pm by divemaster1963 »

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
I would try to improve the soil naturally. Plant cover crops, green manures, and actual real manure. I would also try to heal the soil around your house.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
How would I kill off the vegetation from the soil to keep weeds out of the garden after I dig it up?
This raised bed would be 12x6x3.

If you are going to use chemicals you spray Roundup.  If you wan t to do it organically you let the seed germinated and either cover with a tarp or till it.  Let it grow, till it, let it grow till it.  You can also just grow what you want and then till or pull the weeds.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:13:51 am »
We've done this.   

One year I covered the kill area with black plastic and let it sit in the sun for a a couple of weeks.  I did that once it got good and warm.  Worked great.   If you're trying to prep new beds now, it might not get hot enough under there to kill all the annual seeds. 

One year I covered the area with black geo cloth and cut holes in it for the new plants.  That worked, too.    Then we mulched and I added new plants, but had to cut into the geotex which was harder than just digging a hole.     We used this for my raised beds and it worked great.  FIrst I skimmed off the layer of grass, then covered with geotex and put the bed on top.  12 inch deep beds.  Full of sand, leaves, chicken dirt, etc.   Best veg ever.  Didn't have to mess with the geotex under it because it was so deep.

We've used round-up but it will take more than one spray.   First the perennials come up and you spray them, but then the annuals come up and you need to re-spray. 

I'm sympathetic.   We're on clay, too.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:34:53 am »
it might not get hot enough under there to kill all the annual seeds. 

That is why you pull the tarp off, stir the soil and let the weeds germinate again and then cover.  If you plow the next year the cycle starts again because the seeds six inches or less below the surface don't germinate until plowing brings them to the surface.  Seeds remain viable for many years deep in the soil.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »
mymon and dad said that was why they usedlime to kil the weed seed down deeep.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 02:03:38 pm »
I have heard of putting lime on to balance the PH.  I have never heard of it killing seeds unless you over did it and then how would you grow in that soil?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 11:16:43 pm »
they would use it in the fall and till then cover with plastic then once month if no snow remove and till again then cover. they said it would keep moving and breaing up the seed so the lime could kill it. they had 6 gardens that  that where 40 by 100 feet took us 6 years to do this and after they turned them into greenhouses that grew vegatbles year round and flowers that where never ment to grow in their area. the flower shops would come out to harvest special flowers that my mom just love to grow. gave them away. I was afraid to get it on my skin because i would not know if a flower would grow. :tongue:

john

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:17:37 am »
they said it would keep moving and breaing up the seed so the lime could kill it.

Yes tilling brings the seeds to the surface but how did they germinate if it was covered?  And seeds are temperature sensitive so if you only did this in the fall and winter, summer seeds wouldn't germinate.  The only way I can see this working is if the soil was so acidic that they could put down a heavy coat of lime to burn the seeds.  I don't think you want to do that if your soil is fertile to start with.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »
it took six years to get it the way she wanted it. so it would grow rare varieties of plants. she had PhD's in Horticulture ,  mathematics, financial, and Banking institutions. she was president CEO of bank in mid Atlantic ( east coast).
It was the hobby she had to decompress. I guest she added the lime and covered and tilled it to burn the weed seed before it could germinate. all I know was that it was the blackest and richest soil that I ever saw. you could grow any thing in it. there were aways photographers at the property taking photos of all the gardens and exotic plants.

john

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »
Interesting method.  It would be nice to know the details to make it work.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
Use clear plastic to kill the seeds. The heat will get so great that it will also kill all of the bacteria (both good and bad).
I had the exact same experience with raised beds and flat beds. I started with (4) 5x20 foot beds. The 4 way garden mix seemed to be mostly saw dust and bark. I sent in a soil sample and they said that I had so much organic material that the seed would not germinate without a constant watering or a cover. It is good for spring crop and tomatoes but not much else.
Friend sold me his dads Troybuilt Horse rototiller and I started  flat garden (about 20x50). My neighbor burns his grass and leaves and was killing me with smoke so I asked him to layer it between the rows on my flat gardens (leaves cover the garden for most of the winter).  The soil used to be so hard that I needed a pick and now the? big flat? never has an issue.
I also fence the chickens on the flat during the winter-works good for bugs and small germinating seeds.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:03 pm »
Use clear plastic to kill the seeds. The heat will get so great that it will also kill all of the bacteria (both good an

d bad)

Will this method allow me to plant this season?

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
It would not here in the cloudy rainy NW. Tarp it, the warm soil will get the weed seeds to germinate. Till and retarp.  I do find that tarping the area after tilling the seeds will all sprout.  Then you till it again and tarp again (I usually lime it at this point and spread a thin layer of triple 16 to help break down all the leaves and grass). I think it is called Solarizing
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
Lime changes the PH in the soil making it inhospitable for some plants to grow. I limed my field last fall and now wish I hadn't. The dandelions looks bad but my target was field sage. Now that I have a better tractor I'll be piece milling the field hopefully changing it into what I want to see.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:40:40 pm »
Ok,
Thanks for your comments.  I should have been more specific for my needs.
The purpose of the soil is to put into a 6x20x2 raised bed and grow vegetables or like in 2017.

I would be digging soil from lowland wooded areas.  It would include rock, seed, black dirt and living things. 
In my head I screen the soil some how to eliminate rock, then treat to use in garden in the current year, 2017. 

I can add creek sand, decayed tree, leaf mulch and what ever you can think of from wooded creek land.

Next year is the meadow and extreme hillside I have cleared for larger production.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 05:02:53 pm »
Clay actually makes for really good gardening once you start getting some organic material into it - it has a ton of mineral content. I'm renovating quite a bit of acidic clay at the moment, and the process is to basically collect anything that will rot and start that process - wood chips, old hay/straw, etc. In the short term it'll help keep the clay damp and help the plants gain a foothold, and in the long term you'll end up with very black, very nutrient rich topsoil. Tilling wood/mulch in initially can help jumpstart the process, but IMO constant tilling does more damage than good.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »
That is what I plow into my garden, wood chips and chicken poop.  It would be nice to get horse poop but then you have to battle the weeds.  Grasses are the worse because they don't scrap well with the machine I made for weeding.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it