Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Meat Bees  (Read 1356 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Meat Bees
« on: September 14, 2022, 11:31:16 pm »
I heard someone call yellowjackets "meat bees" today.  Has anyone else ever heard that before?  I have to admit it kind of drove me crazy.  As if people aren't confused enough about what is and is not a bee.  :wink: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Meat Bees
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 02:05:48 am »
Reagan, I share your sentiments.  :cheesy: 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 07:34:01 am »
Reagan,
I think they are referring to the fact that YJs, during the spring and summer, collect protein and feed it to their brood. That is why it is not uncommon to use fish in YJ traps. And it works pretty well.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 08:01:46 am »
I can understand the "meat" part.  Beekeeping clubs etc. though, keep adding to the confusion by using yellow and black bees, as do the cartoons.  Bees are not yellow and black.  They are brown and black, or they are brown and dark brown, or they are black and grey, or they are silver grey.  Honey bees are never yellow.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 12:02:07 pm »
Reagan,
I think they are referring to the fact that YJs, during the spring and summer, collect protein and feed it to their brood. That is why it is not uncommon to use fish in YJ traps. And it works pretty well.
Jim Altmiller
I can understand the "meat" part.
Yeah, it's not the "meat" that's riling me up, it's the "bee" part.  Especially because, with a handful of exceptions, not eating meat is one of the definitions of being a bee.  Generally, wasps are meat eaters, bees are pollen eaters, so unless we are talking about vulture bees, the phrase "meat bee" is a totally contradictory. 

Beekeeping clubs etc. though, keep adding to the confusion by using yellow and black bees, as do the cartoons.  Bees are not yellow and black.  They are brown and black, or they are brown and dark brown, or they are black and grey, or they are silver grey.  Honey bees are never yellow.

You know what drives me crazy even more than that, is the continued use of those totally fake Winnie the Pooh aerial honey bee nests in bee-related graphic design, the ones that look like bumpy tan bald-faced hornet nests.  I can't stand those!  What was A. A. Milne thinking?!  Although to be fair, it's not a like a bald-faced hornet is really a hornet, so I guess we're all guilty of something.  :wink: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 01:11:24 pm »
I think part of the confusion has been that a skep sort of (barely) resembles a bald faced hornet's nest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 03:03:44 pm »
I think part of the confusion has been that a skep sort of (barely) resembles a bald faced hornet's nest.
Oh man, I never put that together!  :shocked:  That is a tenuous resemblance, but it would totally be enough for someone who didn't know. 

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 11:00:01 pm »
I used to try to educate people that honey bees are not the carnivorous, multi-stinging, more aggressive hornets/wasps/jackets. But they don't want to listen to more than a 6 second sound byte.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 11:47:13 pm »
I used to try to educate people that honey bees are not the carnivorous, multi-stinging, more aggressive hornets/wasps/jackets. But they don't want to listen to more than a 6 second sound byte.
I'm pretty sure I simply cannot speak to someone who would give me only six seconds to say anything.  :wink: :cheesy:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 07:08:37 am »
>That is a tenuous resemblance, but it would totally be enough for someone who didn't know.

Turn the skep upside down and hang it from a tree...
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 11:57:46 am »
You know what drives me crazy even more than that, is the continued use of those totally fake Winnie the Pooh aerial honey bee nests in bee-related graphic design, the ones that look like bumpy tan bald-faced hornet nests.  I can't stand those!  What was A. A. Milne thinking?!  Although to be fair, it's not a like a bald-faced hornet is really a hornet, so I guess we're all guilty of something.  :wink:

:shocked: :grin:  Winnie-the-Pooh was introduced in 1924 by A.A. Milne in a children's book. A time when skep beekeeping was not so uncommon, nor unfamiliar with the general public. The general public related such images of the skep, to bees; Phooh simply helped himself by digging in lol. (Though I rather doubt skeps were hanging in trees, while realizing bear are not yellow either! lol).  

With this in mind, I hope the image or Phooh handily carrying his skep around, will 'help' ease any hostilities or irritations Reagan. May I suggest you 'picture' his skep with a view of nostalgia and sentiment of a time of 'that day', of 'that era', instead. 
:grin:

Phillip

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:09:10 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 12:03:55 pm »

Yes, I can understand Bob. For many 'non'-beekeepers, the attitude seems to be "'if it stings" it doesn't matter what its name is! (If it stings, it stings and call it what you will "I don't care", end of discussion lol). At least we try to educate them Bob.  Thanks for the reminding post and smile. 😊

Phillip

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2022, 08:00:00 pm »
I know that while cleaning deer and fish it?s not unusual to have yellow jackets show up. Maybe that?s what they were talking about.