BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Debating on late season split large hive

(1/5) > >>

AustinB:
My most thriving hive is 3 deeps tall, with bees and brood in all 3. My second most thriving is a double deep that is full as well. They are heavily loaded with pollen and capped honey. I am trying to make a decision on how to handle them this fall / winter. In the past I have typically just built them up to be strong with sufficient stores to overwintered in 2 or even 3 brood boxes. In the past I had always thought good populations, stores, strong hive better for the spring. But I see a lot of talk about treating and splitting this time of year and overwintering with 1 deep. I do like the idea of brood breaks to drop mite loads, and of course like the idea of heading into spring with more hives. Currently I have not treated them or performed a mite check. I plan to do so in the next week or so, but I want to get my plan of action ironed out first. I'm more interested in the experience based feedback of "here is what I do" vs the proverbial "just do this" feedback. I am interested to know what you do and why, and how happy you are with the results. I know even the veteran guys tend to change protocol over the years at times.   

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: AustinB on July 27, 2021, 07:48:50 am ---My most thriving hive is 3 deeps tall, with bees and brood in all 3. My second most thriving is a double deep that is full as well. They are heavily loaded with pollen and capped honey. I am trying to make a decision on how to handle them this fall / winter. In the past I have typically just built them up to be strong with sufficient stores to overwintered in 2 or even 3 brood boxes. In the past I had always thought good populations, stores, strong hive better for the spring. But I see a lot of talk about treating and splitting this time of year and overwintering with 1 deep. I do like the idea of brood breaks to drop mite loads, and of course like the idea of heading into spring with more hives. Currently I have not treated them or performed a mite check. I plan to do so in the next week or so, but I want to get my plan of action ironed out first. I'm more interested in the experience based feedback of "here is what I do" vs the proverbial "just do this" feedback. I am interested to know what you do and why, and how happy you are with the results. I know even the veteran guys tend to change protocol over the years at times.

--- End quote ---

Austin this time of year, is good for doing what you intend to do, split, 'IF' your area is set up and ripe for it during this time. An abundant supply of pollen, nectar, and drones, (drones if you are adding queen cells to these splits), are needed and imperative just as they are needed in the spring to make 'good successful splits'. However, in August these resources might not be readily available in your area. 'The first two are not in my area'. If not you will need to be prepared to feed sucrose syrup and pollen sub added to your splits.  You will need plenty of drones. It is taught that drones meet in a certain drone congregation areas for virgin queens to find and mate (away from the home apiary). I have learned from experts here that VQ will also mate with drones from the same yard as well. So, just to be safe, check to make sure your very own yard (in your location) has plenty of drones. If so, most likely and hopefully, this will help insure neighboring colonies in your area will have drones as well, congerated in their location for the VQ to find and mate. If drones are scarce, you might consider introducing mated queens to your splits in August as needed depending of the the amount of splits you intent to make from each existing colony. This is just what I did my first year, (bought mated queens). I made 5 splits from one colony in September. And everyone came through winter strong and healthy (but I did things the way to help insure they did). A whole different subject.

I refrain here.  :grin:

AustinB:

--- Quote from: AustinB on July 27, 2021, 07:48:50 am ---Austin this time of year, is good for doing what you intend to do, split, 'IF' your area is set up and ripe for it during this time. An abundant supply of pollen, nectar, and drones, (drones if you are adding queen cells to these splits), are needed and imperative just as they are needed in the spring to make 'good successful splits'. However, in August these resources might not be readily available in your area. 'The first two are not in my area'. If not you will need to be prepared to feed sucrose syrup and pollen sub added to your splits.  You will need plenty of drones. It is taught that drones meet in a certain drone congregation areas for virgin queens to find and mate (away from the home apiary). I have learned from experts here that VQ will also mate with drones from the same yard as well. So, just to be safe, check to make sure your very own yard (in your location) has plenty of drones. If so, most likely and hopefully, this will help insure neighboring colonies in your area will have drones as well, congerated in their location for the VQ to find and mate. If drones are scarce, you might consider introducing mated queens to your splits in August as needed depending of the the amount of splits you intent to make from each existing colony. This is just what I did my first year, (bought mated queens). I made 5 splits from one colony in September. And everyone came through winter strong and healthy (but I did things the way to help insure they did). A whole different subject.

--- End quote ---

Good to know! I have noticed a good number of drones in all of my hives thus far, and there are at least 40 hives within a mile of me that I assume are still hopping.  That's encouraging that you split into 5 in September and all made it through. Being in VA we occasionally get some cold winters, though the colder temps don't typically hold for long periods of time. I'm thinking about simply  treating the hives first, splitting the big hives down into individual deeps, making sure resources are balanced between them, and allow the queenless splits to raise their own.
Resources here are still decent, though not abundant, and I am equipped to feed. The thing is I have never done end of summer splits before and don't have any experience with it. I am nervous because I don't want to get to spring and kick myself for the decision haha.

AustinB:
Also Ben, no need to refrain  :cool:
I am interested in techniques and tips from those who perform successful manipulations (such as yourself) on their own hives under the given conditions

FloridaGardener:
In NW Florida panhandle I just split my largest hives so they don't swarm.  They just put out half to full [medium] frames of capped drones. 

The bees get busy reorganizing, and if the flow slows don't they aren't so restless.

Sabal palm is ending.  Liriope is big as an ornamental here, there's lots of it, and spanish needle ["native"] is blooming too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version