BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Wired looking bees

<< < (7/7)

.30WCF:
Reference the unknown origin of the queen in the nuc, I found her and marked her today. She is building up the worker brood. Regardless of where the quickly returned queen came from, being able to dump a whole nuc right in a queenless hive for a boost and new queen is worth keeping a nuc on hand.

--- Quote from: .30WCF on June 11, 2021, 11:59:33 pm ---If we remember back in this thread, I had some hives that went queenless with Formic Pro. It took a long time to get a queen back in there. ( they raised their own, 3x )
Maybe stress maybe mites maybe poor queens... but I had no queen and a few weird looking bees in one hive.
I ended up basically pulling five frames out and putting a five frame nuc I had on the side right in the box. The queen was still there and lying they next day when I checked on her.
It?s a week later and she is still there. She is marked, kinda small and skinny, but laying some. Not quite like I want to see, but she is there. I might give her the hive tool if she doesn?t straighten up and dump another nuc in there.
Anyhow, the frames I pulled out went into the nuc box to raise their own queen. I went back in the nuc a few days later to check for a queen cell starting. They had just capped all the brood like normal. I did another frame swap and gave them more eggs to try again. That was Monday morning. Today, I looked and I found eggs and larvae. Odd, that. I didn?t see the queen, but I was really just thinking I was looking for a queen cell. Maybe I?ll find her next week?
I assume I?ve been trying to raise a queen in a couple hives for long enough that there was a stray virgin that returned to that nuc. I guess there could have been a second queen in the nuc on the box wall when I pulled the frames. I am 100% certain the marked queen was on a frame when I moved her into the big hive and she is still there today.

--- End quote ---

van from Arkansas:
Nice looking queen.  I see no mite frass in the open cells, no pin holes in capped brood.  Pic looks good.  Best to your bees.

.30WCF:

--- Quote from: van from Arkansas on June 21, 2021, 01:10:37 pm ---Nice looking queen.  I see no mite frass in the open cells, no pin holes in capped brood.  Pic looks good.  Best to your bees.

--- End quote ---
That I found her on a frame in the upper nuc box. There is a lot of action downstairs, she just happend to be outside frame in the top box. She is laying good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version