Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dissecting a Swarm  (Read 5220 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Re: Dissecting a Swarm
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 11:10:27 am »
GREAT original post, Ben. Thanks. Love the idea of a pool pole! I?ve been using two pieces of PVC pipe that fit into each other that can telescope, but it?s very heavy. The weight of a pool pole is about 1.5 pounds and that makes a difference! I?m going to get one.

A suggestion for when you shake the bees out on the ground: I use an old polyester shower curtain liner on the ground under any swarm catch I go to.  If a bunch falls on the ground it?s easier for them to take off or I just shake them into the air.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 04:32:57 pm »
Thanks 2Sox 😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 04:40:01 pm »
Adding, be sure to have a roll of electrical tape handy as well. A few wrap arounds along the pole, here and there securing the hose to the pole, prevents hose/pole separation which can seem to get quite heavy if you have to retrieve your bees 🐝 at an angle. Maybe one every 3 or 4 feet. Quick and easy as the tape is easy to break by hand after a couple wraps and on to the next spot.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 09:26:44 am »
Adding, be sure to have a roll of electrical tape handy as well. A few wrap arounds along the pole, here and there securing the hose to the pole, prevents hose/pole separation which can seem to get quite heavy if you have to retrieve your bees 🐝 at an angle. Maybe one every 3 or 4 feet. Quick and easy as the tape is easy to break by hand after a couple wraps and on to the next spot.

Yes, I?m a fan of blue painters tape. Very strong, easy to remove and will not leave a sticky residue
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 09:58:06 am »

Yes, I?m a fan of blue painters tape. Very strong, easy to remove and will not leave a sticky residue

Thanks I?ll try it next time!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 02:10:04 pm »
It is getting closer to swarm season in my area. I thought of this topic while discussing Swarm Catching Methods on another topic. I am renewing this discussion for any who may be interested.

Phillip

Offline doug494

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2022, 09:32:24 pm »
If you find multiples can you tell the old queen from the virgin queens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2022, 11:34:42 pm »
Virgin queens have smaller abdomens than mated ones. Normally if there are more than one queen in a swarm, then all of the queens will bee virgins.
The exception is when 2 different hives swarm at the same time and one is a primary and one is a secondary.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 12:08:49 am »
Doug it is rewarding and even kind of fun when finding more than one queen. It also helps sharpen our queen spotting skills.

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 09:16:12 am »
Here is a picture of a very small swarm that a firefighter friend, Paula, found in a tree in front of the Macclenny firehouse. She was fascinated with it. I told her about the scout bees dancing how they decide where they are going to build their hive. Later that night she took this picture. I told her that I have never seen a queen on a swarm.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline doug494

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2022, 01:37:13 pm »
Virgin queens have smaller abdomens than mated ones. Normally if there are more than one queen in a swarm, then all of the queens will bee virgins.
The exception is when 2 different hives swarm at the same time and one is a primary and one is a secondary.
Jim Altmiller
That's what I was wondering.  Since an old queen will slim down for the swarm flight is she distinguishable from a virgin.

But if multiple queens are normally all virgin that is good to know.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

anything