BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Metal cone bee escapes

(1/2) > >>

Pazuzu:
Hi I?m chasing metal cone bee escapes. I only found plastic ones. Do they exist?
Similar to these:
https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbHcSpZ9eOPHrdKrYbrjYbGpQjnV8G6RlXGprqoEx7Zz2KEa_1

JurassicApiary:
I would suggest fashioning one out of #8 hardware cloth.  That allows you greater flexibility in affixing it to whatever structure you need as the hardware cloth will conform/bend to almost any shape and it's like going to be considerably cheaper.

TheHoneyPump:
Way back whenever back then, when first experimenting with cones as bee one-way systems (bee escapes) we used pastry decorating cones.  Those were the only thing we could fine at the time that was remotely in the size needed.
Nowadays, plastic cones are easy to find, easy to work with, and cheap to buy by the 100s.

Pazuzu:
Yeah was considering making some DIY ones. Pastry decorating cones, I think my mum had some but I think they won?t have a flange so they can be fixed.

I had plastic ones and within a year they perished in the sun.

Hops Brewster:
Did you leave them out in the sun for a year?  Yeah, they would sun-rot.
I use it with a shim between the honey frames and the lower box.  Keeps things nice and dark, the way they like it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version