Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bananas?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Pazuzu

• New Bee
Bananas?
« on: May 11, 2021, 06:45:30 am »
I had some chalkbrood in one of the hives. A few fellow beeks told me to place a banana under the lid to help clear up. I thought they were pulling my leg, but apparently this is a "thing" and the internet is full of similar advice.

Well, I didn't waste a banana, and ate it myself instead. The chalkbrood cleared up in a few weeks without any intervention. If I did take up the advice it would have been easy to conclude that the banana cured the chalkbrood.

However. Is there any solid research on this? Some apparently even feed their bees ripe bananas instead of pollen sub. Are bananas useful in anyway in beekeeping?

Or is it an internet myth that won't go away?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Bananas?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:03 am »
I had some chalkbrood in one of the hives. A few fellow beeks told me to place a banana under the lid to help clear up. I thought they were pulling my leg, but apparently this is a "thing" and the internet is full of similar advice.

Well, I didn't waste a banana, and ate it myself instead. The chalkbrood cleared up in a few weeks without any intervention. If I did take up the advice it would have been easy to conclude that the banana cured the chalkbrood.

However. Is there any solid research on this? Some apparently even feed their bees ripe bananas instead of pollen sub. Are bananas useful in anyway in beekeeping?

Or is it an internet myth that won't go away?

I for one do not know. But the way you opened this reminds me of Granny Clampetts' cure for the common cold. Take her medicine for four days and you will be cured. This discovery made the headlines in the Bugtussle and Pixley News Papers. (Of course the Big City doctor knew that in four days the cure would have already been accomplished naturally. lol)
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Bananas?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 01:03:45 pm »
Chalk brood is a colony stress disease brought on by moisture and cool. It is a fungus, aka mold.  Correct the hive conditions to prevent mold and CB will disappear.
Three things I found that clear chalk brood.  Thymol, Honey-B-healthy, or sunshine. 
Bananas?   Nope. 

Hope that helps.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Bananas?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:07:34 pm »
I have wasted enough bananas that i should have eaten, waste of time and bananas.
Better environment and nutrition will help, but change queens is also useful.
Also too much room in the hive/not enough bees is a reason for CB to flourish.