ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Smoked salt

<< < (2/2)

JurassicApiary:

--- Quote from: Acebird on May 29, 2020, 08:20:37 am ---I never heard of smoke salt either but I can't stand liquid smoke.

--- End quote ---

I myself am not a big fan of liquid smoke.  I usually smoke meat right on the grill with the pellet tube.  But the smoked salt...I enjoy thoroughly.  Very aromatic, yet subtle because you can't use a large amount due to it being salt.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Acebird on May 29, 2020, 08:20:37 am ---I never heard of smoke salt either but I can't stand liquid smoke.

--- End quote ---

I am not crazy about liquid smoke either but this idea sounds good.

BeeMaster2:
It definitely sounds interesting. How thick is the layer of salt when you do it. It sounds like you put the salt in a metal pan. Is that correct.
Jim Altmiller

JurassicApiary:
Jim, you are correct. I fill a large baking pan with about 1/2-3/4? of salt depending on how much I want to make. I have one photo I happen to take showing the pan that I will attach. This was a large batch so I actually had one pan on the upper rack and one on the main grill surface.
If you have an upper rack in your grill, I suggest resting the pan on that as the smoke being warm will rise and be at its greatest density higher inside the grill. I stir the salt every 30 minutes to mix it up and ensure all of the salt gets exposed thoroughly. After about 3 hours the salt will begin to brown/darken. I also mist the salt periodically with water (hot heavily) just lightly. This moisture will also capture smoke, which will remain when it evaporates. After smoking, it how the pan in the oven to dry out any moisture before canning. Lastly, I can the salt in 4oz mason jars, baking them for one hour (known as dry canning) and immediately seal them upon removal from the oven. As they cool, the lid will vacuum seal down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Framed:
Jurassic thank you for sharing this. I bet this is going to make some real good Memphis Bar-be-Que !!
 :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version