BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

Split today - guidance?

(1/5) > >>

amymcg:
Hey all,

I?ve never done a split where I intended to raise a new queen before, so just looking for some reassurance.

We have a strong flow, there are drones, and I have a very strong hive that I installed from a package onto drawn comb over a month ago. 

Today I split that hive, taking three frames of brood and larvae of various stages and two frames of honey/pollen combos. I put them in a 5 frame nuc. 

From what I?m reading, I should check for queen cells on Tuesday of this coming week?

The15thMember:
Were you splitting to prevent swarming or just to make an extra hive?  Tuesday seems a little soon to me, I usually wait about a week. 

amymcg:
Just to make another hive.  Also the parent hive is pretty calm and I?d like to encourage those genetics.

I should also add that it?s swarm season here based on the local beek association posts on facebook

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: amymcg on May 02, 2020, 04:59:22 pm ---Just to make another hive.  Also the parent hive is pretty calm and I?d like to encourage those genetics.

I should also add that it?s swarm season here based on the local beek association posts on facebook

--- End quote ---
I ask because if you are trying to prevent swarming, you would want to move the mother queen.  (Ask me how I found that out.   :wink:)  If you are just trying to get another hive though, it shouldn't matter. 

amymcg:
Yes! Luckily no signs of swarming. Plenty of frames of brood, no swarm cells, queen is laying a nice solid pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version