Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: making nucs for queen cells?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
making nucs for queen cells?
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:58:23 pm »
I had to put the queen cells in some splits today because I didn't want to do it in pouring rain tomorrow. I made the splits, with nurse bees in all of them, the best way I could. Went in the house and ate dinner and then back out to put the cells in each.

Does that sound right? Making them Queen less for about an hour and introducing a queen cell to them? After that I put syrup on top.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: making nucs for queen cells?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:02 am »
You can put the queen cells in as you make them up or you can wait as long as overnight.  Any longer is too long.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »
I've had the best luck making up nucs in the evening and placing cells in them the next morning.
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
>I've had the best luck making up nucs in the evening and placing cells in them the next morning.

Yes, I think that is ideal if you have the time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »
>I've had the best luck making up nucs in the evening and placing cells in them the next morning.

Yes, I think that is ideal if you have the time.

Ditto. 
   I read ALL the time...  and I often come across fellows or ladies pulling queens and then introducing another queen or a queen cell two, three or four days later..  The problem with that is, the bees ALREADY have a queen, they just started her two days ago.. to a bee, a queen cell is as good as a queen..  I have found a larvae in a queen cell being drawn out 24 hours after pulling a queen..   Take a queen away from a hive, and within 15 minutes you can hear them roaring.. they are upset, they KNOW they do not have a queen....   
   I do the same thing stanisr does..  I pull queens, make nucs etc, the evening before.. then go out the next day to introduce queens or queen cells.
   Queen cells can usually be added immediately after making up a nuc....  but I have found a few torn out.. I can only assume because the bees did not realize they were queenless, so they killed her, and regretted the decision 15 minutes later...    So at least a LITTLE time is recommended before putting the cells in. An hour like you did is better than ten minutes, and not as good as two hours...  but you should be fine.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:16:55 pm »
When setting  up nucs I always wait 24 hours then install a queen cell.
I install the queen cells that are due to emerge the next day.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)