Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning Show Honey Jar  (Read 6078 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Cleaning Show Honey Jar
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:37:50 pm »
I am preparing a couple jars for show honey for the fair. I can not seem to get the smears out of and off of the jar. I have washed in hot water and hot soapy water rinsing well. I have heard to use denatured alcohol. The alcohol has an odor will it completely dissipate. I take it you should not clean the inside of the jar with the denatured alcohol.

I am in particular having difficulty with the narrow neck on the queen line jars being lint free and clean .... geeze LOL. I have micro lint free cloths but they still seem to leave a smear look inside? I had a good 2lb show jar going and scratched it with a pair on tongs while cleaning :angry:

Any hints???
John 3:16

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Cleaning Show Honey Jar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:03:38 pm »
The alcohol will evaporate, however a thin neck on the jar will delay evaporation so in that case use a blow dryer and blow air into the jar.  Denatured alcohol will remove oil from your hands and is kind of extreme.  Regular hand rubbing alcohol 70 percent or higher should do the trick.  Just be sure and dry the inside of the jar.

Consider lighting, clear Honey stands out to me, so beautiful, so is placement of the jars to take advantage of light important?  Wish you the best of luck.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:25:40 am »
I take it you should not clean the inside of the jar with the denatured alcohol.
So break down and use a small amount of clear booze.  Smears would be the cause of glue from labels.  I can't imagine why that would be on the inside of the jar.  Label adhesive could be a water base or oil base.  It is obviously not water or it would be gone by simply washing.  Oil base I would recommend using mineral spirits then a alcohol wipe then wash in soap and water.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:29:08 am »
unwashed T shirt. I do not know why but it works well.
Victoria on YouTube has a entire series on it. 
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:00:23 pm »
I go to a window washer's supply store and buy huck towels for drying glassware.  Huck towels are lint free towels used to dry surgical instruments.  I used to use microfiber towels, but they are not as absorbent and seem to just move stuff around.  To remove the glue left by gummed labels from glass, I use lighter fluid, then wash and dry.  For cleaning mirrors, windows and other glassware, I mix a gallon of cleaner consisting of 1 pint of rubbing alcohol, 1 teaspoon of dish detergent, 1 cup of non-sudsing ammonia and water to fill a gallon jug.  Fill spray dispensers from the jug.  Unlike the leading window cleaning liquid, this doesn't leave a film on the glass.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:02 pm »
I take it you should not clean the inside of the jar with the denatured alcohol.
  I can't imagine why that would be on the inside of the jar. 

New jars will sometimes have a film inside. Washing sometimes leaves water spots. Drying the jar out will sometimes leave a smear inside. All this has to go with show honey....New jars so no gum from labels...

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:12 pm »
The alcohol will evaporate, however a thin neck on the jar will delay evaporation so in that case use a blow dryer and blow air into the jar.  Denatured alcohol will remove oil from your hands and is kind of extreme.  Regular hand rubbing alcohol 70 percent or higher should do the trick.  Just be sure and dry the inside of the jar.

Thanks Van

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 06:28:42 pm »
unwashed T shirt. I do not know why but it works well.
Victoria on YouTube has a entire series on it.

Mintz... thanks for the  information. When I you tube and victoria honey welllll seems Victoria may have a Secret  :shocked: :cheesy: Can you shoot me the link...

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:27 pm »
I go to a window washer's supply store and buy huck towels for drying glassware.  Huck towels are lint free towels used to dry surgical instruments.  I used to use microfiber towels, but they are not as absorbent and seem to just move stuff around.  To remove the glue left by gummed labels from glass, I use lighter fluid, then wash and dry.  For cleaning mirrors, windows and other glassware, I mix a gallon of cleaner consisting of 1 pint of rubbing alcohol, 1 teaspoon of dish detergent, 1 cup of non-sudsing ammonia and water to fill a gallon jug.  Fill spray dispensers from the jug.  Unlike the leading window cleaning liquid, this doesn't leave a film on the glass.

Thanks I will check out the huck towels ... ammonia may leave a scent in the jar???

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »
SC,
My wife puts those fabric softener sheets in every dryer load. When ever try to use one of my T shirts to clean my glasses, there is a white haze on the glasses.
Is it possible that is the problem.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »
SC,
My wife puts those fabric softener sheets in every dryer load. When ever try to use one of my T shirts to clean my glasses, there is a white haze on the glasses.
Is it possible that is the problem.
Jim

I am just trying different things...my first time at it. I got a tip to use odorless- colorless acetone from a Welsh Honey Judge. I have not used any t-shirts. I also have some micro-fiber cloths. All of it is way too much trouble  :wink: :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:52:36 pm »
SC,
Have you tried heating the honey. It lets the pollen and particles separate out, either float or sink, and floats the bubbles out. This is why I do not like honey shows, you have to damage the honey to make it perfect for the judge.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 03:22:46 pm »
SC,
Have you tried heating the honey. It lets the pollen and particles separate out, either float or sink, and floats the bubbles out. This is why I do not like honey shows, you have to damage the honey to make it perfect for the judge.
Jim

I agree that show honey is not about the honey at all. Our club president is going for her Welsh honey judging cert so we are supporting her by entering. It is my first honey show and may be my last  :wink:

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:36 am »

[/quote]

Mintz... thanks for the  information. When I you tube and victoria honey welllll seems Victoria may have a Secret  :shocked: :cheesy: Can you shoot me the link...
[/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2H2weZeto

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 03:37:08 pm »
Thanks Minz... yea I had seen the Virginia Webb ones...

Well I had 4 entries and got a 2nd and 3rd.... I told them if second place is like kissing your sister I guess third is like kissing your Brother :tongue: There were quite a few more entries this year than the last few years. The judges really didn't help us any... some did not fill out comment cards..... GEEZE :angry:

Well guess I can say been there done that with the honey show thing now :wink:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
"Denatured" alcohol is usually ethanol (which you can drink somewhat safely) to which some methanol (wood alcohol) has been added to make it poisonous to drink.  Both will evaporate quickly and leave nothing poisonous as residue once they have evaporated.  But everclear or moonshine would also work...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:53 pm »
I took first in amber, first in light and bees wax block (best in show)
This year the best in show for the block brought home $250 cash money! Free entry for me and the family and VIP parking were pretty cool also. I got my picture in the bee line (State of Oregon bee keepers magazine).
The competition heated up with the cash. I was actually hanging out at the table (after the hour drive down I did not want to get back in the car) helping out people. I was letting them use my gloves, clean T shirts and basically assisting them.
There was a lot of mason jars. A lot of people did not read the directions and did not even come with enough jars.
The judges did not leave cards like they did in the past.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 09:28:05 pm »
Congratulations mins.  :happy:
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Congrats Minz

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 10:22:45 pm »
Congratulations mins.  :happy:

Geeze dude THANKS  :wink:... my fist show and I palce with two of four entries...