Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive notes  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: hive notes
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 09:08:22 pm »
Beavo, LOL. I can picture you there, scratching your head.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
=
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 02:23:09 pm »
I brand this on all my boxes and use push pins to track what I did last time I was here:

When doing an inspection I use the day of the month for today, for the numbers, and whatever I think is relevant otherwise.  The abbreviations are: Egg=Eggs, Opn=Open brood, Cpd=Capped brood, Fsg=Festooning bees, Mkd=Marked queen, Gnt=Gentle bees, Def=Defensive bees, XQ=Queenless, VQ=Virgin queen, LQ=Laying queen, Gft=Grafted cell, Swm=Swarm cell, Spr=Supersedure cell, Emg=Emergency cell, Dx=Disease, ^=on the increase v=On the decrease, Flp=Followup (i.e. they need something, food, bees, more supers etc.)

When doing queen rearing the date can be used however you think will help.  For instance you could use it for the day you expect this queen to be laying or you could have it be the day you put the cell in (which is easier to keep track of) and then the day you saw it emerged and then the day you saw the virgin queen etc.

Sometimes I use multiple colors.  i.e. if I SAW the virgin queen I use a purple pin.  But if I have evidence to suspect a virgin queen I use blue.  If I introduced a virgin queen rather than letting her emerge, I use red.  If I saw evidence of a laying queen but didn't see the queen, again, I use blue.  If I saw her I use purple.  I like to use Red for Flp because I need to do something or that wouldn't be marked and red gets my attention better.  Also I like red for XQ because if they are queenless something needs to happen.  So it's best if I DON'T use Purple or Red elsewhere so I can easily see which mating nucs or hives need a queen or a queen cell and which ones need some kind of followup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 05:02:11 pm »
Very neat and concise Michael. For queen breeding in a cycle would be effective. Where do the pins that are not being used kept?
The lid writing system does provide a history of what the hive has done for the year. You are sometimes in Autumn looking at a hive that may be struggling with bee numbers and you look over the lid comments and often find that there have been other attempts to keep this hive functioning.
Other hives you look at the lid and there is multiples of  date - OK or date - VG and are ready for winter.
I know it is off-topic but I think that our attempts at fixing are just not big enough, eg added 2 frames of brood but may be we should have put in 4 frames of brood and bees.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 06:12:04 pm »
I brand this on all my boxes and use push pins to track what I did last time I was here:

When doing an inspection I use the day of the month for today, for the numbers, and whatever I think is relevant otherwise.  The abbreviations are: Egg=Eggs, Opn=Open brood, Cpd=Capped brood, Fsg=Festooning bees, Mkd=Marked queen, Gnt=Gentle bees, Def=Defensive bees, XQ=Queenless, VQ=Virgin queen, LQ=Laying queen, Gft=Grafted cell, Swm=Swarm cell, Spr=Supersedure cell, Emg=Emergency cell, Dx=Disease, ^=on the increase v=On the decrease, Flp=Followup (i.e. they need something, food, bees, more supers etc.)

When doing queen rearing the date can be used however you think will help.  For instance you could use it for the day you expect this queen to be laying or you could have it be the day you put the cell in (which is easier to keep track of) and then the day you saw it emerged and then the day you saw the virgin queen etc.

Sometimes I use multiple colors.  i.e. if I SAW the virgin queen I use a purple pin.  But if I have evidence to suspect a virgin queen I use blue.  If I introduced a virgin queen rather than letting her emerge, I use red.  If I saw evidence of a laying queen but didn't see the queen, again, I use blue.  If I saw her I use purple.  I like to use Red for Flp because I need to do something or that wouldn't be marked and red gets my attention better.  Also I like red for XQ because if they are queenless something needs to happen.  So it's best if I DON'T use Purple or Red elsewhere so I can easily see which mating nucs or hives need a queen or a queen cell and which ones need some kind of followup.

Wow, Michael, that is really unique!  How much did it cost to get a brand like that made? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 08:23:52 am »
i think Michael should brand the cows... I mean the bees, themselves. That way he can tell when some other stock has wandered onto his land.
On a serious note: I am impressed by how purposeful so many of you are in improving your beekeeping. I spurs me to work harder at being observant and proactive in my beekeeping.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 10:23:15 pm »
>How much did it cost to get a brand like that made? 

$830  But I put it on a couple of thousand boxes...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 08:22:37 am »
>How much did it cost to get a brand like that made? 

$830 
Ouch.  IDK seems excessive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 04:54:06 pm »
Less than a dollar a calendar...
-------------------

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 07:57:22 pm »
That's only about a dollar as of now. 10 years of future stamping will drop it ever more cheap.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 08:55:22 am »
Less than a dollar a calendar...
Ok so if everything you buy is less then a dollar you are happy?  You could advertise for the Dollar Store.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 03:44:41 pm »
:)  I used to have plastic calendars and they probably cost me about the same, but they also tended to end up scattered all over.  These stay attached to the box.
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2020, 10:06:27 am »
A stenciled and a paint brush / roller might be under 50 bucks divided by 2000 boxes = 2.5 cents per
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2020, 10:59:32 pm »
Yeah... but the flaming branding iron is so much more fun to use.   It's why some people drive a tiny car, and some people drive BMWs.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 02:43:54 pm »
the branding on the box is a great idea, great system.  :)
 :cool:
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »
The brand also has "bushfarms.com" on it so I can identify my boxes.  Brands are hard to paint over and hide.
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2020, 07:45:17 pm »
My system is the same as OldBeavo. I use a paint pen. I haven't tried to remove the older notes. I simply put an X thorough them when outdated. I can always go back and read if desire. The way I have it figured the tops need to be repainted every so often anyway. 2-3_4 years? White paint. for the tops. Works good for me.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 09:31:27 pm »
When I was using paint, I would use the color for the queens of that year so I could tell this year from last year at a glance and know what to paint over if I was going to paint...
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:52 pm »
Thanks Bob, per your PM request. It's nothing special really, I just make a quick note on the top of lid. inspection Date, Month, Year; Evidence of queen, Whether eggs, brood, or actual queen spotted. If Queen is spotted and brood patterns are adequate, I write her marked color on the note also. If no problems I write nothing else. Draw a line beneath allowing entry space for the next future inspection. If there seems to be a problem. SHB, Mite, Disease, or poor brood pattern etc. that is added on the note. Then addressed after inspection of all other hives on yard. And usually that is it. If a problem does arise and addressed I have the note right there on top as reference of date inspected. problem, and what was done for the problem for future reference, knowing what to look for on the next inspection. I have rarely had these mentioned problems except for the occasional SHB. Or lack of queen etc.

Attempts at problem correcting.
Added notes if needed.

That's about it Bob, adding I use a Red Paint Pen . Hope that helps.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 02:41:08 pm »
When I was using paint, I would use the color for the queens of that year so I could tell this year from last year at a glance and know what to paint over if I was going to paint...

Thanks Mr Bush, I like your branded method. 👍🏻.  Your system cover a lot of ground!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »
I would never write on the cover because it is under the boxes when I open a hive.  I have heard too many stories of lost queens on the ground if you put nothing under the box when you take them off.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything