Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Progress and Poverty  (Read 3600 times)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Progress and Poverty
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:59:42 am »
Recommended reading from a fellow beek. This book by Henry George looks at and attempts to explain, Why, as civilization/industry advances, does the gap between rich/poor increase. An interesting theory emerges as current economic theory is questioned and shown faulty.
The solution?  I recommend starting there and reading backward.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Progress and Poverty
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:50 am »
I own several copies of P & P.  The oldest (1933) is my Grandmothers old copy, worn and filled with her own ideas, notations and loaded with the 'flowery' language of the late 1800's.  A real treasure IMO.

If it was up to me  :laugh: The concepts and advise from HG would be common knowledge by the time our children leave High School IMO, instead of being purposely suppressed…….for sinister means………in the 'land of the FREE'.  :roll:

How different might our world be if the citizenry had even a 'basic' understanding of the natural LAWS of a "RESOURCE BASED" Economy and were no longer at the mercy of the wealthy elite for whatever scraps they passed down?
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
I haven't finished reading it but I am almost done. It is a good read.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:08:13 pm »
I'm glad you are enjoying it. I have to thank TBeek for the recommendation, too bad he's not still around to discuss it....
I haven't had anyone who took the time to read it disagree with the ideas and illustrations expressed. Admittedly those readers have been few and far between.
 :idunno:
So why is this info not taught alongside the other schools of economics?
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:49:55 am »
I'm not sure... It goes quite well with free markets.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin